PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Higby/Devs: PS2 Linux + Steam Q's

Originally Posted by Trevellian View Post
Not User Friendly? Have you ever played with Ubuntu? It's an amazingly clean and optimized interface. I'd far prefer to use it over Windows except for the small fact I can't play games without using a Windows emulator/shell program.

I am fully aware that Linux is not a viable OS for Gaming "currently".
Ever wonder why Linux never took the world by storm? Because it isn't made for normal people. In the consumer space it is a computer nerd's toy - that's it. Most of the world is normal people which have little knowledge of how computers work or how to manage software packages with ubuntu. You are not a normal person. Computing products are not made for you. Linux is not made for normal people. Its interface is terrible not because it isn't efficient; it is terrible because normal people can't use it, it has terrible support, and it offers nothing to them that the things they are familiar with don't already have.

My wife could not use Linux, nor could my mother, grandfather, brother, or anyone else in my family. But they can all use Windows and/or Macs.

And it will never be viable for gaming. You can keep on wishing though. You'd be better off wishing or searching for UI makeovers for Windows. It won't happen on Mac, because Jobs knows what's best and if you disagree you're doing it wrong.