PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-25, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
So....we're building a resource-based game....where once you start "winning" and acquiring more territory...you begin to be penalized....whilist inferior Empire(s) are essentially "rewarded" ? Really ?
This is why I dislike any sort of diminishing returns on resources. I believe if you conquer a territory, you get the spoils, no matter how many territories you have. Having lots of territory should always net you more resources than having little territory. Otherwise there's no motivation to capture territory.

Maybe, all we need is a "back-up" plan (w/the Devs). Play the game without any drastic changes or Nerfs...and if the "Rich-Get-Richer" model ends up to be a major issue.....then the Devs need a solution "in-pocket"....one they can implement ASAP - pehaps overnight (or almost immediately).
That's what this thread is about. And I don't think nerfs have really been talked about unless you're zeroing in on the diminishing returns on resources ideas, which I agree are not good for the game.

When an Empire gets under 10%/10% (or somewhere 'round there) POP/RESOURCES.....it gains the ability to construct certain DEFENSIVE capabilities....where if facing overwheliming odds it would still have a decent chance of holding the last 5 or 10 sq km of it's meager Global territory.
They could give out bonuses like that but I think it throws the game balance out of whack. The keys are the ability to compete and the motivation to hang in there and keep fighting. That doesn't require nerfs or buffs to an empire due to its holdings. It's all resource and capture-based.

What's to prevent the other two Empires from Double-Teaming an EMpire on the verge of extinction ?
By making the biggest empire the most enticing target - worth more, easier to capture. The only reason to double team a weak empire is because its easier to take their stuff. If you make something else an easier and more lucrative target then that behavior will sort itself out naturally.