PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "A Striker rocket is stronger than a Decimator rocket."
View Single Post
Old 2003-08-04, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Nixon
Corporal

Well, you have to admit that your first post comes off as being more of an emotional rant rather then a balanced arguement. Most of the time, that tends to come from people on the recieving end of something they find unbalanced... stuff like the JH, Lancer, Striker, and Magrider.

Don't get me wrong, I supported the nerfing of TR MAXs long ago because every confrontation with one usually ended with a lot of pissed off people. The Striker, however, is one of the advantages that the TR has up there along with their MAXs. At first, I too believed that the weapon was simply too much bang for your buck, but as I used it I quickly became aware of its disadvantages. For one, to kill a MAX you need to fire off four shots... which requires a reload that can damn near take forever, and most vehicles also require more then one clip's worth of ammo. An added benefit of the Striker is that it can easily be used indoors as well, while the VS and NC weapons are more suited for outdoors and over distances.

But there's one thing all AV weapons have in common, and that's that they only work against aircraft when they hang around too long. Unless on a tower or mountain, infantry rarely have an unobstructed view of the surrounding horizon. Aircraft that fly high up in the air with little cover are vunerable to all AV weapons, while those flying close to the ground can usually duck behind trees, hills, and buildings to avoid staying on a missile lock for both the Striker and NC/VS AA MAXs. It's those Reavers who'll sit there and hover while firing full salvos at ground vehicles that end up crashing and burning while those that afterburner behind the hill making multiple passes on a target that fly long enough to actually need to reload thier craft.

I see no problem with the Striker as it is, and while playing non-TR characters I usually find myself blown up when you get at least four or five of them shooting and their first shots hit you right as you duck behind something. Striker - fine. Jackhammer - fine. Lasher - still just a tad bit too fast or powerful (but not both). Magrider - unless they can find a way to keep those dialup users from lagging over me, I think it's fine too. Then again, that's true with any vehicle so I've made my peace with it.

Granted, I have only enough time to invest mostly in my TR character, I've made efforts to try out all the weapons to learn their strengths and weaknesses and play appropriately.