PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Demo recording (a.k.a. BattleRecorder) in PS2
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-19, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Really
Private

Demo recording (a.k.a. BattleRecorder) in PS2

Does anyone know if there'll be any sort of demo recording functionality in PS2?

This has been around at least since Quake 3 (and probably before that), and it basically records everything that happens on a map at all times. I realise that might be impossible for PS2, since the scale is huge, but surely it would be possible to record everything within, say, 100m of you?

The benefit of this is that you can revisit the entire fight later on and re-record things from any angle, and re-record shots exactly how you want them. It's mainly a cosmetic thing for videos, but it's worked out well for Quake 3 and BF3 (that I know of), and their YouTube fanbase is huge. Another advantage for the player is that it doesn't take up nearly as many resources as recording lossless (or lossy) video live!

The demos themselves could even be useful for catching hackers (if they exist in PS2).

In the original PS I had a lot of fun recording and editing videos of PS, using FRAPS and a horrible complicated video card setup. I know I wasn't the only one, and there was eventually a whole subforum set up on the official forums devoted to player-made videos. I just wondered if there were any plans to cater to this sort of thing in PS2; what with the huge explosion in YouTube popularity since PS1 it would be a great way to bolster publicity as well