PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Naval Warfare and Potential "Continent"
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
AssassinGT
Private

Re: Naval Warfare and Potential "Continent"

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I know you probably spent a while on this, but any concept which requires special continents and removes land warfare and the infantry, ground, and air trinity isn't going to work well in Planetside. It's on par with the numerous other naval threads and space combat threads where people introduced new vehicles to make their concept work and focused on primarily on powerful multicrew vehicles. Also I feel water should be a hazard and not something used for gameplay. (The fact that the VS can still possibly hover over it is bad enough and hurt your concept).

Also you make a comment that "ships are fun" which is extremely subjective. I don't find driving a boat in a game enjoyable at all.

Your list of downsides should have given you a hint that something locked to only water is going to have problems in a game with ever-shifting front lines. You also don't want vehicles to be useless in most of the continents.

Also as much as I hate jumping to conclusion your designs sound more overpowered than a BFR.
That.

To reiterate on "that." I also think driving boats are retarded. For example in BF3; if you need to take the boat to get to land.. most people just shoot themselves in the head and hope the team has already capped a ground point to spawn on.

I think Naval warfare.. underwater warfare, & space warfare.. all that jazz sounds great and good fun but.. let's not forget that they'd probably almost have to make an entirely new game basically to jam even one of those in. It would require a full set of vehicles, rebalance of all classes/weapons for naval shit and just a whole lot of work. And unless they can prove to the men upstairs writing the checks that this is a solid use of company funds.. that idea is going nowhere in a hurry.

I think your writeup is great.. I did read quite a bit of it but I can see where you're going with it. To be honest I'd support it too but at this point the game just needs to come out and we can only hope that Higby is on board to make this sort of idea into some sort of an expansion. Cause honestly if that were the case and he took it seriously; I think he could get some traction with the concept.