PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-24, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status

Originally Posted by vieric View Post
well, most people into PS1 aren't that keen on PS2....same goes for PS2 users not being too keen on PS1, by no means am I saying people who like both don't exist, they do...its just there aren't too many of them.

Even then PS2 is bleeding out pretty bad right now, which further compounds the issue.
So yes, I am slightly worried about this course of action, but as I said, infinitely better then nothing.
Yea, no.

Most people who are keen of PS1 do like PS2. Most PS2 users have never played PS1, so they dont even know how terrible some aspects really were (ADADADADAD...), while others were so much better than in PS2 (I miss genholds :/ )

Ps2 isnt bleeding out. It clearly lost a lot of players since release, but thats normal for every MMO. First is the hype, then people play a lot less and a lot also stop completly for the next game. This applies especially strong for F2P games.

It will, however, pick up again, and eventually even beat the player numbers of the initial release hype, at some point. If you check the player statistics, you will see that it stabilized a while ago, and is now slowly growing. Stuff like MGL will propably boost the growth quite a bit.

Figment: if a fraction of PS2 players would play PS1 every now and then, then we would indeed get at least a poplock during prime time for EU and US. But the number in question is not players, but subscribers. Obviously there are less players than subscribers, but no idea how much less.

In any way, PS2 subbers getting PS1 for free as an extra is the best possible thing that could happen for PS1. F2P was never an option. Remember: Before PS2 announcmen, we actually pressed SOE to remove the free trial. Yes, that happend. The reason was the cheater problem that plagued us. Reality simply is: No matter what SOE does, if the game is full of flying scatmaxes that cannot be killed but can instagib the entire continent, then nobody of us will even think about installing PS1.