PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SOE Services Offline
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-04, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Sgt Grizzly
Private

Re: Can't log in?

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
I think what you experienced were just people who were more into a given field than you were used to seeing. How often do you see people doing for fun, what they do for work? The more into a field, the more you have to sacrifice elsewhere. Most of the time, social activities (and hygiene, since those two usually go hand in hand) are the first things to go. Why spend time with other people, when you can spend that time doing what you love? Unless that field is a social activity anyways, like sports, dancing, or whatever, you will probably come out looking like a "nerd". Wouldn't matter what you are doing, be it computers, automobiles, or marine biology.

People in upper tiers of a field, look strange to people who are not into the same field. Computers, happen to facilitate people getting to those upper tiers more easily than pretty much any other field. This is due to the explosion of computers in daily life. So you will see a higher quantity of them. Although, the more people there are, the more diluted the effect becomes. This is why I feel the old stereotype is outdated and irrelevant in today's world.

I do agree that the people who did the hacking, are highly skilled. Intelligence could be debatable, they did just land themselves as enemies of a massive corporation, homeland security, and the FBI after all. That being said, I do not see any indication to their social behaviors at all.
Nice someone chill I can have a discussion with...

My experiences stem primarily from my group of friends and their friends. I'm actually friends with quite a few nerds. My best friend is arguably one though much better at the social game than most - in any field. However, this wasn't always the case as he was certainly an awkward guy growing up and came across as uber annoying to the average joe because of his insistence on factual accuracy and general inability to conduct a good interpersonal relationships. That is, picking up on cues like when someone is tuning out of your conversation or when you may have offended them. Generally those with good interpersonal skills do extremely well in position of sales - a job that requires a high degree of social ability because the mood of your client will affect your sales. In computers, it's project orientated so your focus is on the task and not the reaction of another sentient being. Herein lies the major difference. And yes, you're right that will probably be true for any field that is also project orientated like playing an instrument.

Your point regarding the diluting effect may in fact be true. I guess we'd have to do some research to prove it, but I'm willing to concede that my generalization may in fact be too general for contemporary times.

It isn't really my point but there is a loose logical leap between the anti-social behavior of criminal actions and what I was referring to in terms of social ineptness. Both result in annoying behavior that has an impact on others due to an inability to conduct proper interpersonal relationships which builds empathy, which if they had any, they wouldn't have done what they did.

As someone who has faced retaliation from the state(I'm being ambigious for obvious reasons) I hope to god these boys get caught. It'll humble them...