PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why is it class based?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

Re: Why is it class based?

Originally Posted by Bobby Shaftoe View Post
So you could have the 'core' competencies in one loadout, why exactly is that a problem in a 100% PVP MMOFPS?

You couldn't drive many vehicles with that sort of cert expenditure, infact, you wouldn't even have the Decimator with that at PS1 release.

You're still able to do all the 'core' combat capabilities that the 'supersoldier' used to do with the new HA class, whilst sacrificing OUT OF COMBAT abilities, which are now transfered to the Medic class with AoE AND ranged healing.

They've transferred all the fuss and hassle of 10 people having to heal/rep themselves onto 1 or 2 people able to do it for EVERYONE... at the same time, they don't even have to be stationary. Not only that, you can now resupply yourselves too!
I'm not saying I think the system is perfect as is, btw. There are tons of refinements to be done on it to work properly.
But this is not the fault of a class system per se, really.

I already explained why I think devs did this, this is a marketing-driven decision, in my mind. So you're not going to change that.

What needs to be perfected, then, within a class-based model?
1) No ammo to HA. See a proposal here (shameless plug)
2) limiting speed when healed (can't be healed while running, for example)
3) leveraging weapon differences between classes so that HA is not the only valid AI option. Avoid PS1 50%+ difference in TTK between weapons.

Constantly complaining about the class system isn't going to change it or have it removed, now. Time to move on.