PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - I know PS1 and PS2 have medium battle tanks...
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-10, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Re: I know PS1 and PS2 have medium battle tanks...

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
^agreed

TBH, as soon as someone says "It's purpose is to break a stalemate", I immediately want to throw that idea in the garbage. There have been so many games that have tried to out something like that in their games, and it has always been abused, no matter what restrictions there were, for example, Eve had those super ships that were way too good and abused by everyone, BFRs in PS1, I'm sure there are other examples, but you get my point.

No super heavy anything. I'd rather them put in a few new vehicles then something used to turn tides by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about if we define its purpose as: a high survivability vehicle designed for mitigating damage and focusing fire, rather than avoiding and scattering it. If they do decide to make a vehicle (class) such as this, and I really hope they do, I think this is what needs to be stressed:

1) Resource inefficient when compared to 1-3 man vehicles
2) teamwork/communication being absolutely necessary
- Many have voiced their disapproval of SOE making some of the vehicles more "accessible" to newer players, by letting the driver position fill other roles as well. This vehicle could be a solution of sorts by providing an opportunity for the many that want the communication-required driver is only driver tanks back.
- In order to further balance such a strong vehicle the fields of fire/view could be limited so that whatever the main armament is only has a 10 o'clock to 1o'clock line of fire, having other turrets follow similar restrictions would again, necessitate teamwork and communication.
3) I envision a vehicle like this being strong enough to make the enemy trip themselves up and not be so powerful that it is able to halt the entire advance of a 100 person outfit.
4) An achilles heel which would discourage rolling out a large number of these heavy tanks, but rather a mixed pool of all vehicles & infantry.
- Poor speed, turning/mobility comes to mind, making them primarily defensive and weak to more agile vehicles which can avoid their main gun(s).