PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Nexus Battle Island Revealed
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-30, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Corewin
Private

Re: Nexus Battle Island Revealed

Originally Posted by Gonchiese View Post
The only issue I see is it taking away from the actual game. Instead of playing PS2, we'll now be playing PSTDM. To me this is not what Planetside is or was ever about. If I wanted to play some TDM in a more sci-fi scenario I'll go and install UT3
Seriously? How is the game (as it stands right now) any different than a TDM?

Look at this objectively. This map, along with MLG, provides meaningful closure to an otherwise pointless game. Planetside 2 currently has no "victory" conditions. Some may argue that there are Alerts, but we all know they were just a bandaid fix to a population problem during off hours, not a means of creating a meta game.

1 vs 1 is the only logical way to balance in a competitive sense. 1v1v1 is impossible. IM-POSS-IBLE. As proven by PS2's current mechanics.

I'll admit that this jacks the overall feel of Battlefield due to limited numbers, but past that Planetside offers plenty of community related content that Battlefield titles wouldn't be able to provide.

1. PS2 Outfits are a bit more established and considerably less flaky compared to their Battlefield counterparts.
2. Inter game rivalries are more prevalent due to a limited number of servers. Players interact and become known far more through their skill and infamy, rather than cheesy highlight videos most people rely on to become known in BF3 and the like.
3. The vehicle game play is considerably different. Adds an element that can't really be compared to BF3.

This has the potential to be something worth while. I'm holding out on how they'll be doing points, objectives, resources, and victory conditions.