PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Nexus Battle Island Revealed
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-01, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: Nexus Battle Island Revealed

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
It's the whole building of some gimmicky Battle Island that has totally disconnected entry functionality and separate character progression that makes it feel inconsistent.
i haven´t read the whole thread, so correct me if i missed some dev statements, but the seperate char progression is ONLY for the mlg matches and has nothing to do with the normal live servers.

mlg will most certainly be played like any other arena lobby e-sports game: totally disconnected from the mmo server. so there has to be either a seperate fast way to level up chars, or a kind of cert-pool from which the players can draw to setup their chars before play. but i really don´t think this is something the normal ps2 player would be involved with.

my suggestion is a lot like ps1 (again), where the caves were introduced after the gameworld was already completed. they were only used by a few players, but provided shortcuts for surprise attacks on other continents. that´s how i imagine the battle islands could work for ps2. with the (also ps1 like) bonus of modules or something similar, that can only be obtained on the battle island, and have to be taken to another cont, to apply a valuable bonus there. like drastic ressource discount for drawing vehicles at the base where the module is installed, or drastic accuracy bonus on base aa turrets, instant respawn without timer, vehicle shields upgraded to also block infyntry, and so on. lots of possibilities there.

the important thing is, that those boni must be worth the hassle. just a 5% bonus on respawn time isn´t worth a fuck! nobody cares for any boni that are already in the game, because they hardly make any difference.
in ps1, it was a difference, if you had an ancient tech module or not. having one meant being able to pull additional weapons and vehicles unavailable to the other factions!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!