PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - G4tv Article regarding populations
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-06, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
The Kush
Captain

G4tv Article regarding populations

I was interested to see if G4tv had announced plans to cover Planetside 2 at E3. G4tv is my source along with millions of other gamers for gaming news, reviews, and of course every year at the start of June their 24/7 coverage of the E3 expo. I thought it was funny how their website has the release date of Planetside 2 in 2030.. But the reason I am posting is to further speculate on a beta release before E3. This is part of G4's most recent article on Planetside 2, these points have been brought up before but now it has really dawned on me how absolutely crucial it is that the world sees planetside for what it is, a MMOFPS, and that's something you just can't see with 50 guys running around. The article says;

"The return of Planetside is a pretty big deal for PC gaming and with what we’ve seen so far there’s no question as to why: it’s more Planetside. But there’s still questions that need to be answered and technical aspects that need to be addressed. For Planetside 2 to succeed SOE need to hit this multiple thousand player threshold, but we still haven’t seen any indication of what it will look like with more than 30 people in a world at once.

That’s the kind of thing that will make or break the experience for players, and it needs to be a primary focus for them. I’m hopeful that this will be addressed in the coming months leading up to release through a beta or some other form of exhibition. Because at this point, a free-to-play MMOFPS doesn’t mean anything if there is no one to shoot at."

Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. How do you think the world will view Planetside 2 if beta hasn't been released yet and there are no massive fights? SOE said it themselves that first impressions are huge. I am extremely sad to think a demonstration of the game without the massive scale is going to turn away a lot of potential customers. Where as a demonstration with the massive scale will be a smash hit, receive lots of coverage, and bring in lots of players.

Obviously the devs are working hard, and I trust their decision in the end. But I really hope the game is shown in massive scale, because I personally believe (along with other major gaming sites) that this will make or break the game. And what better time to show this epicness then the most epic gaming stage of all, E3. If beta isn't ready that's fine, then I just want to hear how big of an impact showing the game with or without the population is going to be.