PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Re: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?

Aesthetically, those animations can be awesome. However they can very much interrupt the flow of the game. This isn't so much of an issue when everyone is mounting up initially, but this game encourages the continued use of vehicles, to get back into a vehicle after it's repaired or after you finished providing support on foot for whatever reason... (such as with a Medic or Engineer) or when you need to pull out of a base and retreat/relocate.

It also means that there is "forced" and "predictable" movement, which, with the addition of snipers and one-shot-one-kill potential, can be problematic unless granted invulnerability... which would potentially be even more problematic. Likewise, waiting for people to get in your vehicle can be problematic in some more contested areas. The more time you spend stationary the more likely you are to get hit with AV, whether entering or exiting.

Finally, you can't pull off that awesome stunt that was done in the latter half of E3's stream in Day 2. I know some might prefer it not be done (bailing and then re-entering your air-craft mid-fall), but it's a really cool thing to have happen.

Of course, the counter argument could be mobile vehicle entry animations... but that is very hard to do properly, and won't enhance immersion from my point of view... it'll just look weird.

For the sake of balance (based on PS2's current state, and likely evolution during beta), for the sake of pulling off really cool stunts, and for the sake of making getting into (and out of) vehicles less of a burden, I'm willing to sacrifice animations.

Also for the sake of an earlier release. I do NOT believe that vehicle entry animations should be added post launch, as it changes things significantly enough that it could potentially be problematic for the playerbase who are, by then, used to not having them.

Last edited by Flaropri; 2012-06-29 at 03:12 PM.