PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Supreme Court takes gun case that will test reach of 2nd Amendment
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-30, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: Supreme Court takes gun case that will test reach of 2nd Amendment

In all actuality, it's not clear. The amendment was technically designed because English subjects were required to own weapons for defense of the lands, as there was no standing army. Furthermore, it was held to be their duty of to keep watch at night to capture and confront suspicious persons, as banditry was common in those days (as opposed to now... harhar). Every subject had an obligation to protect the king’s peace and entire towns could be fined if a crime was committed.

The issue came about in America for a variety of reasons which became evident during the build-up to the revolutionary era. Colonists who viewed Loyalists with suspicion decided to create armories that Loyalists would not have access to. The British government created laws stating that this was forbidden and sought to disarm these colonists. When the Constitution was drafted along with the Bill of Rights, the need for militias was evident because there was discussion over standing armies. Standing armies were not entirely common during that period.

Now having said all that and sounding like a freak anti-gun idiot, I own weapons. I'm a firm believer in having them. I'm also against having to pay out the ass and jump through hoops like some stupid dog in a stupid doggie show, just to properly and legally carry them. I'm also dead-set against the government telling me I cannot legally protect myself, my home, my property, and my family whilst criminals are able to arm themselves. That's why I don't live in big cities where ordinary people are victims to criminals who have illegal weapons.

They need to do something about illegal weapons instead of worrying about law-abiding citizens who practice responsible firearm safety.