PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PlanetSide on the Long Game Blog
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-02, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
DocBadwrench
Private

Re: PlanetSide on the Long Game Blog

Your opinion is highly biased towards lore. [stuff I wrote] is a highly opinionated statement.
Ah, that'd be because it's my opinion. On my blog, no less.

Yes, I proudly admit I'm biased against story/lore in games. This is only because about 98% of every video game contains stories that make me want to carve out both my eyes and stuff a cat in each ear. It hurts less.

For the vast majority of games, the story is not why we play. Even ostensibly story-based games.

I absolutely expect the fan fiction to be bad, no - much worse, than anything SOE comes up with. That's the nature of fanfic.

But that's not the point. Fan fiction from players who love their outfit is deeply personal. Whether it's glossy and high quality is a moot point, it's another avenue for creativity. An average story by SOE is a yawn, but a lousy story from one of my outfitmates (whom I've known for years) is a treasure.

You are correct that lore is a pretty low-impact thing, SOE-side. But good lore is time consuming and requires a lot of re-writes to avoid the pit of suckitude.

I do appreciate your opinions, by the way. I learn lots from that kind of thing. All I've done is share my own. And, I've been privy to one hell of a discussion, which was the point, anyway.

/bows