PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: PlanetSide 2 Comm-Link Art
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-27, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: PlanetSide 2 Comm-Link Art

I'm with Miir on the mag look, it doesn't have that sleek sexy feeling that yells "This is a badass tank!" to me. This may be due to the lack of perspective as we're seeing it alone and that it's showing us its back rather than its prow. To me if feels light, airy, with no armor and without much bite. The question 'where do I sit?' crops up in my brain looking at it and I feel a twist in my gut. It's flat and squished, it's squat and just doesn't menace. This is all opinion as are my suggestions for some fixes to make it feel dangerous as nothing is worse than driving a tank and feeling like it's more a death trap.

Changes that don't require editing the model:
-Point of view should be back where the hump rises out of the mag and should be able to see down the hood. Point of this is to make it feel like you're sitting on top of the cannon and gives the tank perceived heft as the tank is on the right and left.
-Deep sounds for the hover engine and the cannon with a slight echo after firing. No 'Pew' or any high pitch when the main gun is fired but when the round lands there should be a crack with a hiss that outlasts it.
-Pitch change when strafing or going backwards.
-Handling conserves momentum and it's slow to stop. Maybe add a sound effect for emergency brakes such as pressurized air escaping. (or replace breaks with an afterburner that makes you go faster in the direction pressed)

Changes that do:
-Stretch the model, raise the middle, pull in the sides. A larger mid section makes it seem like there's room for the cannon.
-Put the cannon off-center. The Mag's PPA was offset and made it feel like there was room inside the tank for you.
-At the back of the cannon there's some circles of teal. Everywhere else on the tank the colors are about as bright as their neighbors. The cannon is the only black part of the tank and the teal next to it grabs the eye away from the rest of the mag. One of the lighter shades of purple or grey in place of the teal would still stand out without breaking up the style of the tank.

I've been a bit nit picky but I didn't want to just say I didn't like it as that would not be useful.