PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - So how do ground Vehicles really help
View Single Post
Old 2013-12-21, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: So how do ground Vehicles really help

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
The role of vehicles should be to dominate open ground and bring infantry to where they need to go, after which infantry storms the base in question and takes on the enemy infantry. The role of the vehicles should then shift to preventing reinforcements helping, keeping ants away etc. Basicly control the open ground around the base while the infantry tries to take the base.
That would be ideal, but in PS2 it's too easy to move infantry from outside of the battle to inside of the base walls, without traversing the region outside of the base.

- Squad Beacons.
- Drop Pods.
- Bailing from throw away aircraft.
- Ill conceived locations for jump pads that negate large swaths of terrain that could be fought over.
- No risk rez grenades.
- Enemy AMS Sunders parked inside of or immediately outside of a base.

Those are the things I can think of which negate the use of vehicles as you described, from a practical standpoint. Sadly, I doubt that SOE will ever change any of those things to create the sensible battle flow you described.

So, alternatively SOE could add hex-wide influence to the regions between outposts, based up the activity of ground vehicles in the region. Essentially, the vehicle-only capture points they talked up in Alpha. I sure they/we could come up with useful reasons to hold such territory, such that people would want to slug it out in vehicles in some of the great landscapes between bases.

It was always fun to be in a tank battle between bases in Beta.