PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Endboss vs competitive combat"
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mechzz
Major

Re: "Endboss vs competitive combat"

Originally Posted by kadrin View Post
I have never understood why people hated the flail so much. It's artillery, killing you over long distances without fear of retaliation is kind of what it's supposed to do. It helps break stalemates by allowing someone to do damage without the risk of being taken out in the process.

And it was very easily countered by air, hell I had fun popping Flails in my Liberator, either grabbing a friend and carpet bombing them or just going on my little A-10 wannabe runs. Most of the time when I saw Flail rounds coming in, it turned into a free kill for me a few minutes later.
This "can-do" approach was not shown by the majority of the player base of this game, and we can't change human nature by force of will. If people think they have signed up to an infantry-centric game then having the crap shelled out of them by something they can't see and can't personally contemplate countering then they will go play a different game. Especially if they are not outfit players and don't know that peeps like you are willing to go bomb the crap out of the flail.

I agree with the vast majority of Figgy's points. A case well made, and something we should be wary of when we start agitating for our favourite mega weapon system. Most people won't argue with you when you propose something (I think even most visitors to this site don't actually post?) - if a unit goes in the game and breaks the game then the population will desert. And if that happens, the game will be dead as SOE won't get a second chance - there are too many other good games around.

Every unit with a guncrew of more than 2 presents a risk of this type.