PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - This game Need FreePlayers in order to suceed stop to trying to limite them to much !
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Re: This game Need FreePlayers in order to suceed stop to trying to limite them to mu

PS2 could never work as a subscription game. Just look at PS1's failure. PS1 started off with about 70,000 subscribers (which is EXTREMELY low for an MMO) and the population dropped steadily from there on out. The only reason the game didn't shut down years ago is because a handful of loyal players kept it from being a total loss.

Over the years I tried to convince every FPS gamer I knew to try PS1, and they either made an ugly face when they heard it was a subscription game, or they quit soon after trying it, when the first free month ran out, again because of the subscription.

MMOFPS is not MMORPG. FPS players are not remotely used to paying monthly. Also, MMORPGs, even the best ones, have crappy shallow "gameplay" that amounts to you being a rat in an experiment pressing a lever to get a cocaine pellet.

PS2 has to rely on actual gameplay to keep you interested, not some operant conditioning to get that pellet. This makes a required subscription not sustainable.

To this day when I tell people I paid a subscription for an FPS for seven years they look at me like I'm crazy.