PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - US election system. Is the US really a democracy, or a duocracy?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Re: US election system. Is the US really a democracy, or a duocracy?

...........Yeah I think this will require another thread lol.

My basic thoughts on small vs big governments has to do with distribution of power, particularly from a sort of bottom up (imo better) approach. I won't take long on this, but basically I think much like the original idea of the American Republic and the EU, having a larger overarching government designed to set more or less basic ground rules (i.e. the constitution and constitutional legislation) for the "lower" forms of government (i.e. states, counties, municipalities, etc...) from which to then form their own rules and laws. It allows for a lot of variation, experimentation of concepts and laws, and allows people even further freedom to settle in states/cities which reflect their values. If you wanna go be a hipster smot poker in san francisco and pay 75% taxes (I know that's not the actual rate, but I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow it was) then go for it; me, I'd rather be in a "freer" state (in the classical liberal sense). I think of myself sometimes as a sort of hippy lumberjack. Or lumber hippjack. I can never tell.

Anyways.

/tangent.