PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - NC already have the buff
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-20, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Erendil
First Lieutenant
 
Erendil's Avatar
 
Re: NC already have the buff


Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
That's fair enough on the VS point of having low recoil. When you referenced the empire brief that seems to point to high=good as the correct interpretation. It also plays into accuracy theme of the empire.

However on the NC/TR thing I disagree. NC in PS1 had the same design philosophy. Take the Gauss for example - high damage round, low RoF, but when you tapped it and treated it like a semi-auto it was extremely accurate. If you held down the shots it bloomed very quickly into ridiculous recoil. That is consistent with the magazine's description of "low burst, high sustained".
That was only true on the Gauss if you were standing. When crouched, however, it was the only ESMA that could fire full-auto through its entire clip w/o getting overall CoF expansion because it's CoF contraction rate was so high that it almost completely reset ofter every shot. Both the Pulsar and Cycler required you to pause partway through the clip to recover your CoF. And the Gauss also had the smallest Maximum CoF when crouched as well. Both of which point to a better sustained-fire capability.

Originally Posted by Malorn
Also in the article itself the author says
I could rack up an easy kill at medium range with my New Conglomerate Gauss rifle but after about two seconds my ironsights would hiccup 45 degrees and I'd be completely off target.
That doesn't sound to me like the recoil is bad at first with the gauss and then gets better - its just the opposite. It starts good and then quickly gets worse. It looks like the Gauss is similar to PS1's Gauss in terms of recoil/accuracy.
Yeah that statement did seem to contradict what it looked like the graph was saying. You're right that does coincide with the PS1 Gauss's standing CoF bahvior anyway.

Originally Posted by Malorn
If the TR were designed to have high rate of fire and sustained dps then it makes sense that they would be equipped handle going full auto on someone and not have recoil cause all their shots to miss. Thus low sustained recoil. Also makes conceptual sense as they train for sustained fire so they learn to control the recoil and compensate as they fire. The first initial shots might be off off because they're used to compensating for recoil (bad shooter habit I know but lets suspend disbelief on that one) but then as they ease into it they gain control and stability while the bullets are flying. Then you end up with mechanics like the LMGs in BFBC2 and BF2142 which started out with poor recoil but tightened as they continued firing.

The accuracy indicator in the chart also lists NC's accuracy as being "High start, quickly falls off" and the TR accuracy as "Medium, with less drop off than NC"
Good points. I think you might be right on this one re: TR/NC. It certainly would make more sense from an Empire philosophy standpoint, and TBH I didn't factor in the "soldier training" angle.

And now that I think of it, IIRC US Army soldiers in the Vietnam Era were trained for firing long bursts and not accurate single-shot fire, since the Army back then had a similar "wall of lead" philosophy. From a lore perspective we could certainly apply that to TR training which would account for inaccurate single-shot/short burst fire but improved sustained fire.

To extend the analogy I guess that would make the NC US Marines, where controlled rifle marksmanship comes first. And from a lore perspective NC soldiers would probably want to conserve ammo since they probably don't have it stockpiled like the TR war machine would.

EDIT: Actually Redcoats & Pennsylvania Riflemen would probably be better comparisons for TR & NC, respectively.

Originally Posted by Malorn
Seems like the author of the chart either wasn't consistent with using high/low or was given an older chart and things have since changed. Something's off about it. That or they may have misrepresented the VS recoil.
Yeah the chart is weird. Hence my attempts at remaking it.

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
1st - balance
2nd - not always

felt recoil depends on more factors than the cartridge.
Muzzlebreaks
Recoil Pads
Heavier weapons
firearm action

Hell maybe they just use rubberized grips. In the end it doesn't matter because game balance comes first.
Yep, I know there are lots of other factors that can determine recoil. And yes, gameplay > realism.
__________________
Do Not Fear the DARK, Fear What Lies Within... http://www.darkhq.com

Erendil / SirAlydon-E
Guiding
Smurfs and Elmos Into the Light Since 2003

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-20 at 03:57 AM.
Erendil is offline  
Reply With Quote