PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-16, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
This.

Higby, I have three questions for you, if I may:

1) Will tanks' survivability be scaled down to that of BFBC2, where 2-3 well-placed handheld AV shots were enough to blow a tank up? I played engineer and got most of my kicks from merciless tank-busting, so I know what I'm talking about.

2) When making this decision, did you factor in the common, ridiculous scenario from BFBC2, where the gunner/driver unleashes hell, while his secondary gunner/engineer continuously repairs him? Depending on the speed of the repair, and the amount of fire being taken, this gives the tank something like double or triple effective HP.
In PS1, this "tactic" would have required at least 3 people, which is a bit more fair.

3) Have you considered letting the driver use only the secondary gun? This would be especially fair considering that (as far as I understand) all (or most) of the unlocks for an MBT are for the secondary gun. This gives the guy who spent time certing the MBT+unlocks full use of what he invested time in, while requiring a second person for the second gun.
1) I love AV in BFBC2 also, but I always do with a Assault + Lightweight kit + C4. C4ing tanks in that game is the most fun thing imo. It's CURRENTLY not quite as easy to take a tank down, but well placed shots definitely count, and concentrating fire is very possible with our AV classes.

2) Yes.

3) It wouldn't work very well for the magrider, but allowing the driver to man the secondary weapon seems like it could be worth trying. We can consider that and see how it plays.