PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: ESF Update Plans via Kevmo
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-02, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Dragonskin
Major

Re: ESF Update Plans via Kevmo

Originally Posted by Valkar View Post
I understand what you're saying and I appreciate that this is the route the dev team took to basically give us helicopters and jets all rolled into one because making two aircraft just wasn't possible at the time. But i promise you there is not a single VTOL aircraft in the world capable of flying full speed then slowing to a hover mid flight in combat, turning around and shooting at another aircraft chasing.

I think the point of what many of us is saying is that its time dogfighting came down to skill in flying where right now it is about keybinding to pull off a quick brake, reverse thrust and then hovering in a single position as you unload a clip.

Whilst many pilots will say this is skillful and many who do it are certainly excellent pilots and I have a lot of respect for them, I can tell you now that if they removed this, you would see a lot more pilots winning fights and the top gun list would change over night.

Why add joystick support when you just need to press space bar, shift and S right?
Hmm.. the game isn't based on true to life realism. It's sci-fi after all. They just based the design on VTOLs. I don't see how they can reduce the hover dog fight game without reducing the skill cap for pilots. I'm not a huge pilot in this game, but it seems like the reverse maneuver is one of the things that helps separate the skillful from the less skilled.

As for the joystick. What do you plan to use your free hand for while you are using your joystick hand? It's been years since I have used a joystick.. since Battlefield 2 days... but I remember using the joystick in my mouse hand and using my left hand to press keys if needed like normal. You would still get the higher precision of the joystick AND be able to use your free hand to press keys. I guess I don't get your question.

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2013-07-02 at 11:45 AM.