PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Central Command Centers
Thread: Gameplay: Central Command Centers
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-15, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Maelios
Private

Re: Central Command Centers

Originally Posted by Ohaunlaim View Post
Each orbital strike should affect all units to some degree. But nothing should insta-kill anything, because that is what most people hate: something you cant react to.

The TR might be better off as a series of smaller cluster bombs within the target area. These would nearly kill infantry and do some damage to vehicles. I would lower the duration of the strike to about 30 seconds. People could find cover, retreat from the area, or hope their luck holds and stay in it. This is still very anti-infantry but damaged vehicles may be killed too.

The NC's EMP sounds nice. In addition to affecting vehicles it also needs to affect infantry exactly like the current EMP grenades do. Again this should be a series of smaller EMP munitions so when people see them coming in they have the option to try and leave the area. Vehicles, again, shouldn't be one-hit-useless (EMP wont kill them). Maybe two shots to make them temporary bricks. The first to remove their weapons, the second to shut them down completely. Make both affects last 30 seconds. Affects on infantry could last half that (15 sec). Make the duration here shorter but more intense, say... 20 seconds. This is definitely more useful against vehicles, but not totally useless against infantry. (perhaps allow engineers to "repair" the EMP affects?)

The VS nanite swarm area denial thing is nice too. I would make the damage quite low since there is no way to avoid it. This allows people to cross the affected area knowing they might survive it, barely, so long as no enemies shoot them. I would make this the longest duration but still only about 40 seconds. Balance this against infantry and vehicles by doing equal percentages of damage to everything (ie 5% damage per second or something)

** Another possibility, to keep the theme of multiple munitions raining down, is to have the smaller nanite bomb's affect area stick around for 10 seconds or so before dissipating. This way the area of denial is constantly morphing. This would allow for higher damage rates because they could be avoided.
Thanks for the input!

Remember orbital strikes must be powerful enough to justify the 10000 Auraxium cost and the four hour cooldown, while your suggestions are still powerful they would not justify hours or possibly days of work, they have to be something that would be able to invariably turn the tide of a battle in your favor unless the enemy pulled a very sophisticated counter.

As for the ideas you gave I agree that the Vanu strike's duration should be lowered to a few minutes (somewhere between 3-5) and the TR's should last 30 sec and do enough damage to destroy anything that does not find cover soon enough. As for the second idea for the TR's change in orbital strike I have been toying around with the idea of an NS orbital strike that anyone could use which would act similar to that.

The engineer idea for repairing tanks is great, but if it were to be implemented I think that the NC's orbital strike's effect should be permanent to compensate, also only engineers who have a repair tool that is certed to a certain extent should be able to repair the damage.

Your thoughts have a valid concern but I just wouldn't use an orbital strike that would almost maybe stop a zerg when it has a four hour cooldown and costs so many resources.

Thanks for the input I hope we can start something with this.