PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux
Thread: Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux
View Single Post
Old 2014-05-25, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #310
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

If that was the case I wouldn't be facepalming when I read your descriptions.

These don't fit in this game as much as chess pieces don't fit in a game of checkers. I haven't seen anything in the descriptions you gave that solved any problems as much as that they added problems, while you haven't even begun to convince me that this is in ANY WAY needed, wanted or beneficial to gameplay, nor that there is even room for it.

There is no direct back and forth combat flow, making this about as useless an idea as teleport rooms in PS2. Your entire argument is based around assumptions and things like "long timer balance".

Units that need to be restricted numerically because they bring a big edge that you can't quickly dismiss do not fit the vision of PlanetSide games. If you compare it to C&C, PlanetSide games work for units of "low tech levels" and starts breaking down when units are introduced that can sustain a lot of fire while either providing firepower or some sort of semi-permanent (logistical) one-sided benefit when the only counter-measure requires a more than significant organised response.

PlanetSide is meant to be played by solo players, small groups and larger groups. Larger groups should not get additional benefits on top of their numerical advantage. This is what this idea does. Regardless if you think you "beat the arguments into the ground years ago". The deal with larger group is that they should be possible to defeat by smaller teams through attrition.

PlanetSide 2 already breaks this premise by having (quickly replaced) unlimited ammo, (fast) unlimited medical support and (fast) unlimited repairing.

Even something as simple as a jetpack already broke a lot of PlanetSide 2's base design. What you're suggesting is going to have such a huge impact, on all sorts of situations that your going to drive players that cannot compete with it (and that doesn't even have to be in direct combat, which you think I've been talking about even though I never even mentioned air to ground firepower - which might happen at high up places anyway). PlanetSide combined arms gameplay already tasks infantry to the extreme in dealing with light and medium vehicles, let alone heavy ones.

Anything that ignores the ground terrain and can contribute from beyond a hill or high altitude, should be treated with a huge amount of scrutiny and distrust. You're extremely fond of your idea, I understand that, but I'm telling you it's a bad idea and will always be a bad idea, because it will affect combat flow and balance in a negative manner, if not break it. No matter how much you nerfed it in your mind.

Last edited by Figment; 2014-05-25 at 06:13 PM.