PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Should states or regions of a country standardize their laws?
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-12, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: Should states or regions of a country standardize their laws?

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
So my question is, for the US (and I guess for any other country that utilizes this dual system) should we have some sort of Standardization between the states' different laws? Are there really things that, between different states, should be considered a grand crime in one state but not at all illegal in the next?
The examples you provided do demonstrate problems in a lack of standardization. However the solution of standardizing laws requires giving more power to a larger more centralized authority further removed from those it purports to represent. In short the solution is far more harmful than the problems it aims to resolve.

Regarding Quebec... Although I have little common political ground with PQ/BQ types I've always supported the Quebec separatists being able to break away from Canada. But just as Canada ought to be divisible, so to is Quebec. Unfortunately, Quebec nationalists have never shown any indication of willingness to offer what they demand from Canada to anglophone, First Nation, and other communities that would likely want to separate in turn from them.

Finally to expand on what Sirisian said, having independent States not only allows for experimentation, but more importantly choice at the individual level. This allows people to vote with their feet, and ensuring that bad corrupt systems are more apt to sink as people and businesses flee to other States. It's also especially important where people are very politically and culturally divided. Giving people the opportunity to live how they wish according to their values, rather than have an 'all or nothing' situation where one side imposes it's values on everyone else.