PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Just to be clear, you're saying advantages are ok so long as people have to pay for them? Imagine if some hardware configuration or special software were able to give people 20% more dps or something.

Granted, FOV isn't a huge advantage. But I'd like to see it treated consistently. If disabling your cockpit is too big of an advantage to allow, then 3 monitors and TrackIR are most definitely too big to allow.

*sigh*

No, I actually never said one way or the other whether I thought such hardware advantages were "OK." I merely stated that having such an advantage wasn't a good comparison to having a cockpit toggle. You see, a toggle is something 100% provided by SOE, would be understood and available to 100% of the playerbase, and could be used by one simple in-game option. Thus it can and IMO should be easily controlled and "balanced" by the Devs.

However, hardware advantages absolutely saturate the playerbase of the PC gaming industry. Every single piece of hardware in your PC that is used by the game has the potential to give you some sort of advantage over others, whether it be a higher monitor resolution, greater framerates from a faster CPU/GPU, lower ping/ploss from a better ISP, better 3D imaging from a good sound system, more button options on your mouse, etc.

And "just to be clear," no I don't think it's fair. It is, however, an accepted reality of PC gaming culture. Gamers spend literally billions of dollars improving their rigs in the quest to gain these "accepted" advantages, and attempting to limit it for things that don't fundamentally change the mechanics of the game in question is a dangerous path to go down from a marketing standpoint, and is also an exercise in futility. And in the case of things like 3 monitors or TrackIR, it'd be even more stupid for SOE to prevent the usage of such hardware advantages since such technologies would better show off the capabilities of Forgelight.

Thus it is, IMO, a bad comparison.

Because your window to the world is already restricted enough just because its on a monitor. And then they aren't content with just having a minimal instrument panel, they have to have super thick bracing that does nothing, even in sci fi games that take place long after they figured out the whole bubble canopy thing and just have poor designs.

Like Tie Fighter.

Am I too believe they couldn't put a single pane of glass there and get rid of the spider web? Its ridiculous.

I've been disabling the cockpit view in every game I've played that allowed it(and most did) since this:

Now a game that is not a flight simulator is trying to act all hardcore, when its not been an issue for any other game for years, including proper flight sims, or its predecessor. And everyone else is defending it based on the immersive qualities of poor sci fi design.
These are all very good points, and I've changed my mind about forcing the cockpit on every1. I wish I could change my vote in the pool... I agree that people should be allowed to disable the cockpit so long as there's some sort of downside (like disabling mouselook as you pointed out). This way both settings give up something in the way of visibility.

They're HUD sidegrades, if you will.

Right. Disabling a cockpit view is too much of an advantage. But TrackIR is not. Completely illogical.
See my rant, above.