PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Life and Death of Planetside 2
View Single Post
Old 2015-02-17, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Boildown
Sergeant

Re: The Life and Death of Planetside 2

The most infuriating thing to me was the slow bug resolution, and all the bugs that were quashed once only to come back again later.

A prime example of this are the generator minimap icons corresponding with the actual generator states. They still don't always align, and they had it fixed once, over a year ago by now. Why can't they get it working right, when they had it working right before?

I played Everquest from nearly the beginning of that game. There was a point about two years in when all these little bugs that had been in the game since release got fixed. They finally had gotten things working to the point they could get to the numerous lower priority bugs. This is a place that Planetside 2 has never been. The game has gotten more and more broken over time, and just because something is fixed today doesn't mean it won't be broken again tomorrow (and it might take 5 months to get it fixed again, like ejector seats).

There's a community bug tracker, but I don't see nearly enough things being removed from the list. And all they want to focus on are performance issues. The game performs well enough from a CPU and GPU standpoint right now. The network and server code need work. And all these infuriating bugs need fixed.

If Smedley was doing what he needed to be doing, something I doubt, here's how OMFG2 went internally:

"We're not adding anything new to the game until the bugs are fixed and the server and network performance issues are resolved. Since we have new owners, we can't afford to keep those of you who's job it is to add new things to the game. So therefore, layoffs. Oh and those of you who double-secret are the reason why the bugs haven't been fixed are also laid off."

If I find out that this is what actually happened, I'd have faith in Smedley again.