PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - hacking
Thread: hacking
View Single Post
Old 2003-01-01, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
RageMaster
Corporal

No, you cant have spinning disks. Spinning disks or symbols or anything else like that has NOTHING to do with hacking. Sure you can watch all the hacker movies you like, but none come close.

If hacking should have an element of player skill involved (which it should, you cant make combat certs twitchy and have hacking as a button-push idiot skill) then it should be centered around typing. Yes... typing. Maybe a palm sized computer that you plug in and tells you a specific keyphrase or alphanumeric code that you then have to type in on your keyboard.

I would go further to suggest that hackers should need to learn command lines for their different hacking programs, to navigate base file-structures and activate/deactivate what they need to. If bases were divided up into subsystems. Door control. Communications. Automated Defenses, all with their own modes, hackers would have much more flexibility to change what they want to.

Hell maybe you could have a planetside internet that hackers could sit in bases and have wars over. Remotely hack into bases, stuff like that. There is much scope for a hacking skill in this MOG, it depends whether Devs take the simple option.

I mean maybe their duties could be expanded just from control panels. Maybe hackers could directly interface with doors and turrets, so that they could effectively lock doors behind them, and turn remote defenses against the defenders.

I think the whole "incremental bar" idea is in stone now though. Oh well.