PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-10, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
Wahooo
Captain

Re: Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return

Sure a kill cam CAN help new players learn a bit. But is it "Desperately Needed"?

There are a lot of things that are needed, like a way to get new players into mentor type outfits/platoons. There is a list of new player helpers already started, something from the game's side to help the new players connect with coaches. Of all of the aspects this game has that are more complex than a "traditional" shooter exactly where you died from is pretty low on the list for what new players need to know.

I remember reading a guide for the original Rainbow Six, as I tried the multi-player and got wrecked so bad. They basically said think about real life if you want to survive. If you just saw a teammate (or two) get shot standing at a window are you really going to go over an poke your head out that window to see what killed them? Of course not.

See what I see from a lot of new players is, not only do they go marching up to that window to see what is out there, it wasn't after a teammate died but after THEY died. Get shot, then go back to that same spot and stand still and look around. Really? I'm supposed to agree to a kill cam because people like that are quitting from getting killed over and over? Kill cam isn't really going to help them, they are still going to get killed over and over just with more variety.

My 7 year old daughter gets it. She may not be that great at doing it, but she saw me die last night and said "Daddy you weren't doing like you told me. You stopped moving and weren't looking all around."

MAYBE I could concede to giving it to new players up to BR5 or so, but that sucks too will those players that relied on it rage when it goes away? Those who need a crutch don't walk very well without it.