PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
No way- this isn't scope creep. If they are going to dip their toes in on immersion, let's take the dive and go for it all!

Some people want to say that entry/exit animations are the deal for them. For me, it's looking at the screen in your cockpit and getting actual useful information.

The ultimate immersion would be in say, a Galaxy, you spawn it, and it appears with rear ramp down. You walk in, up to the cockpit, and once there, hit the button to sit down. Brief engine startup sequence, even if one button. As people come in and sit down in their transport seats, lights come on on one of your panels. When that last one comes on, you hit the close ramp button and take off. Then, you've got a multi-waypoint flight path to your landing zone that takes you through the safest known route. You can see that on your HUD and on your map. Etc.
I'm quite sure those who clamor for entry/exit animations (I am one of them) would love to see even more great things ! It's quite hard to tell what is technically possible from what is not, though.

We know animations are possible since we've seen them, loved them and want them. The threads about them were about asking for old stuff not to be cut-off but was looking in the past.

Cockpits are new and look great: we did not have them in PS1 and they may be one of the cool new things people will love. Notice how there was no threads asking for them ? People may have thought about them but not seriously.

The kind of immersion you describe... such a quality of immersion... would be such a break through that we would not be talking about PS2 as a game anymore... Forget competitors, Planetside would be the ultimate integral experience, not just your run-of-the-mill F2P AAA game. It would be AAAA for lacking any other category to put it in.

PS1 already has caught some of that "experience" part but it was hindered by technical limitations that took you out of that immersion (bugs, hackers, player count, etc...). PS2 is promising to keep the experience and build up on it to make it more whole.

What I am trying to say is that your description of true immersion is the real ideal of the Planetside experience that we are all craving for. Until it's made possible, let's hope the devs make the most out of forgelight and create a true experience so far ahead current games have to offer that no comparison is even possible.