PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
Lower the nose or use third person or flip upside down and use free look, I'm in favour of the last option its cooler.
I was on the fence on this issue until I read your third option. Yeah, if you want to look down at a steeper angle than what the cockpit allows, use roll.

Normally I'd say no since I'm another one who wants to see as little clutter on the screen blocking my view as possible. But the arguments for immersion, a level playing field , comparing it to PS1 grass that every1 turns off, etc are too compelling overall. And yeah, having to do a roll to look at the ground is just too much winsauce to pass up.

Oh, I'd also like to reiterate what other have said that it levels the playing field between different unit types as well, since infantry can't turn off their weapon models and ground vehicles can't turn off their front hoods or mounted weapons.

Speaking of immersion and gun models, I would luv it if they added a working ammo counter to the side of our rifles.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I really hope that my eyes are seeing this right and that the cockpit itself appears to be affected by real-time lighting and shadows as well. Having light from explosions, sunlight, shadows from clouds, etc all play across the dash in real time will make a huge difference for me. Without it I'm afraid the cockpit would look more like a paint-on decal on my screen and it would probably break the immersion for me since the rest of the world benefits from such lighting.

I also hope that the cockpit is a real 3D object in space so that it renders correctly while using 3D LCD shutter glasses. But that's more of a personal wish for me since the vast majority of gamers have never played Direct3D/OpenGL games in 3D and since they haven't experienced it they probably couldn't care less about it.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Speaking of "iron sights", since apparently that's a metaphor for the aim-down-sight mechanic and not for iron sights literally, what I've been wondering is, will you be able to customize your rifles by using magnification scopes, or is an iron sight rifle always going to be iron sights? Remember that even when you have a scope, you still "aim down sight" with it.
Yes, you'll be able to customize to different scope designs and magnifications, different red dot/holo sights, etc. You can even add a foregrip to your weapon to improve your CoF during instinctive fire (read: not aimed down the barrel, or what people refer to as "hip-fire") if you want.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-16 at 08:10 PM.