PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Trayvon Martin
Thread: Trayvon Martin
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-22, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Trayvon Martin

I'm Canadian. I understand "castle doctrine" as everyone has heard about how Americans murder each other if they catch intruders on their property in certain states.

The kid was in the gated community visiting his father's fiance's house. He was out on the street because he was walking back to her home after having purchased a snack at the store. At the time he was attacked, he was talking on his phone to his girlfriend. So what are the neighbors saying? Was Martin attacking someone? Was he endangering someone's life? "Doing things he shouldn't be doing" is awfully vague. Bottom line, though, is that Zimmerman pursued Martin. It is not self-defense if you are actively pursuing the individual. Maybe if Zimmerman stayed in his home and waited for the police to arrive, but he even said during the 911 call that he was pursuing the kid.

If the kid was confronted by this Zimmerman person who was brandishing a firearm, and the kid hit him and ran away, guess what? Not a crime. If the kid felt his life was in danger, he was perfectly within his right to attempt to escape. That's what good self-defense is. And further, what does this say? That Zimmerman shot a kid in the back while he was fleeing?

I cannot believe this is something anyone with a brain is on the fence on. At the very least, Zimmerman should be locked up pending trial. An unarmed kid was pursued by an armed man out onto the street and killed. That isn't something the police should shrug their shoulders at.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-22 at 11:40 AM.