PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-07, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
Corax
Sergeant

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

TL;DR
Stat-driven people need love too. If you dont like the stat system....then ignore it and continue to play with people that are like minded to you. Or take advantage of the tactical opportunities it provides. Your choice.

My personal opinion on this is that it serves a purpose. It encourages more people to play the game. Which is something we all want. And it does provide a tactically useful group of players to the Empires and the game.

If you have players that do only focus on their stats. Then you have a nice group of cannon fodder grunts. They will actually provide a vital aspect of the game. Players who are there to push and fight in the front lines. They provide a continual pressure on the enemy which allows the more specialized Outfits and teams to do all the special forces and co-ordinated squads and platoons.

Instead of focusing on OMG stat whores suck at teamplay. Think of it as another tool for commanders to use.
A Good Commander can use any type of person to achieve a goal.
A Great Commander puts the right person in the right place.
A Crappy Commander complains that people wont play they way he wants them too.

And honestly I am looking forward to all the nice modern stat stuff that is coming along. Kill-streaks, stat tracking, I completely agreed with and enjoyed everything stat related in the GDC demo. But in turn I am not a Stat-whore. I prefer to guide/lead/co-ordinate fights and work behind enemy lines while also providing support via spawning points.

Every fight needs the zerg if you want to have those huge battles. There is nothing wrong with having a modern stat system and killstreak system. It does appeal to a whole 'nother fanbase.

Furthermore as the stat-chasers start to see the success of the more co-ordinated outfits then they will start to apply and join in with the people who expect and demand teamwork to squad up with them. Then they will see their stats start to skyrocket as they learn what Planetside is all about.

Every player in planetside that has joined outfits started out the same way from their first day of logging in.

You were part of the zerg, just killing whats in front of you.
You joined a squad. And started to understand working together.
You spotted an outfit rolling together or heard an advertisement somewhere.
You joined an outfit. And plunged headfirst into teamplay, and found out just how much fun it really was when approached properly.

Basically, there is a place for the stat-focused people in PS2. Its called the frontline troops. They provide the battle and other people to kill.

TL;DR
Stat-driven people need love too. If you dont like the stat system....then ignore it and continue to play with people that are like minded to you. Or take advantage of the tactical opportunities it provides. Your choice.

Last edited by Corax; 2012-03-07 at 09:19 PM.