PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
Thread: News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
lawnmower
Sergeant

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
If your bullets are going way outside of your crosshair (CS1.6), it's not intuitive, and confusing to new players. PlanetSide did it properly by having your crosshair determine where your bullets could potentially go, and never outside that.
that does sounds like a badish design to me. i thought we may have been talking about such things as strafejumping in quake for example which probably no quake pro has ever wanted removed pretty much. just a fantastic thing that isnt intuitive or making sense in any way.

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
High skill ceilings and newbs being able to compete are two very contradictory things. If someone is at the bottom of the skill barrel and never gets any higher, they aren't going to be able compete if a bunch of people are at the top of it, and they aren't going to have any fun and quit.
if they arent going to be able to compete very well then thats because of differential in skill having a big effect on how big of an edge one person has over the other.
chess for example has a high skillceiling and a low luckfactor making a small edge skillwise between two players end up with the better player still being able to win quite often.
poker for example has a high skillceiling and a big luckfactor making a small edge skillwise between two players end up with the slightly worse player able to compete with the better very well.
without thinking about it too much, it does seem rare for electronic games to be like poker