PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-17, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Atranox
Private

Re: How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
That is a few areas I did not realize. Though when people think PhysX I bet most people think about the GPU accelerated one. I will go through the OP and update as needed shortly. If I take out what is mentioned about PS2 using the accelerated type will the post be correct for the most part?

You do seem knowledgeable on the subject I will say. Do you know anything more in the relation with PhysX 3.0 GPU accelerated PhysX running on CPUs? With what I got from SOE it sounded like it would favor Nvidia cards, but AMD would take a hit.

EDIT: Updated OP as to your concerns Atranox. Please let me know if I should change anything. I want this to be close to accurate as possible.
The post does seem to be rather accurate. Honestly, it's really difficult to formulate any opinions until we're sure of how SOE will be implementing PhysX.

I would think that using the GPU-accelerated PhysX would be extremely disappointing and a poor business decision. A few years ago...probably not, as NVIDIA had about 70% of the share. Since AMD's 5000 series, they've regained a lot and it's something like 55%/45% now as far as GPU market share goes. I really can't see SOE excluding half of their player base. Most game developers that have used PhysX on the GPU recently basically were paid off by NVIDIA.

Another point to consider is that GPU-accererated PhysX has a very large hit on performance, even for NVIDIA users. Being, an MMO, I really can't fathom SOE implementing such a gigantic resource hog. On the contrast, the PhysX engine is very nice and results in some great performance and effects.

In terms of PhysX 3.0, it has been released to developers - but not much is known about it yet. Most of the information has come from NVIDIA's marketing team, so it's difficult to accept any of it as fact. The biggest change is, as you mentioned, it should run better on the CPU if necessary. It's tough to say though, because NVIDIA has worked very hard to prevent PhysX from being useful on system that don't have an NVIDIA card. Honestly, many consider PhysX is in a pretty bad spot right now, and I really don't know how long it will maintain relevancy. It just isn't a good business decision for game developers to use effects that only half of the consumer base can utilize (especially when there are other comparable engines/effects).