PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece)
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Re: I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece)

A general response to the Terran Republic supposedly being the good guys (this is totally out of character, and you won't hear me bashing the Republic in any further propaganda posts ):

The official canon is quite clear that on Auraxis, the Terran Republic is not what they were back on Earth, particularly if you read some of these entries on the official website.

On Auraxis the Republic is ruled by a rather harsh dictatorship and we see, at least in the eyes of the members of other factions, a very dark portrayal. No doubt, these accounts by the other factions are aggrandized, but when they make reference to the execution of dissenters and state-wide curfews, it is clear that the Terran leadership are far from the kind and benevolent leaders that they were on Earth. The mention of dissenters being executed is particularly telling, because it is made by a member of the Vanu to her brother, a soldier in the Republic. The brother doesn't even defend the Republic against the accusation (he is otherwise quick to defend the Republic's purpose); it is as if such cruel fates are the accepted way of life on Auraxis under the Republic.

At the same time, thanks to the technology they brought from Earth which created the over-abundance of food and resources that allowed their peaceful rule to exist for so long, the Terran Republic on Auraxis are still quite rich, so they will gladly help citizens with free food and healthcare (if only so that they can praise their own leadership in propaganda).

If you consider the change that the TR underwent from the top down after becoming stranded on Auraxis, I believe that my characterization is fairly accurate.

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
I don't like the "'Freedom?' Not on our watch!" bit because it makes them sound like some sort of Pol Pot type deal.
The intended message was to make a mockery of the idea that the NC represent freedom. Like, "NC? Freedom? Hah, that's rich." At the same time, the present-day Republic isn't exactly a bastion of freedom either, so it serves the dual purpose of mocking the NC and assuaging desires for freedom among the TR populace (if only because no major player on Auraxis actually offers it, except maybe those Vanu guys, but they're insane, and, if you believe [my] TR spin-- alien ).