PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Information Thread v2.0
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-16, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Planetside 2 Information Thread v2.0

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
I replied on Twitter, but I'll reply here too.

I've been having a lot of fun watching you guys speculate about this the last couple days, a couple of you got it pretty much dead on:

Each empire has their own unique air fighter in PS2. The Reaver belongs to NC, the Mossy is TR. The VS have a new fighter that we're currently calling the Dyson, although that may change (and no, it's not powered by cyclone technology or a smarty-pants British accent).

Each has slightly different flight mechanics, strengths, weaknesses and capabilities which help to reinforce and round out the empire.

Each of these fighters will serve multiple roles depending on how the player loads out the vehicle, you can configure any of them to be more air-to-air orientated, air-to-ground orientated, etc. You'll be able to change out afterburners to get more speed, or armor to get more durability, countermeasures, radar dampening, etc. We're working on a lot of really cool gameplay here, I think you all will be stoked and I can't wait to share a bit more about them soon! =)
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...7&postcount=15

Joystiq Art Interview 9/30
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09...tside-2s-tram/
T-Ray: As such, each of PlanetSide 2's three factions was designed from the ground-up to be visually distinctive, both in colors and shapes.

He replied that, statistically speaking, the percentage of colorblind players who engage in MMOs is so small as not to be a huge concern, but for those who are, the shape language and player silhouettes should make up for the difficulty in identifying colors.

While alien life forms will initially be limited to just plants, the team isn't ruling out a house call from E.T. at some point in the future. In the meantime, players will have to pay attention to their environments, which can -- in some cases -- kill. For example, a volcanic zone will be spewing lava all over the place, and lava trumps armor most every day.

PlanetSide 2's art style skews much more toward the realism end of the spectrum than the stylized. Each of the soldiers, male and female, are 6'2" tall, and the team even scanned the head of one of the art directors to help with proportions.

As for the armor itself, players will have a lot of say in just how they look. Not only will they gain new pieces and insignias as they rank up, but PlanetSide 2's microtransaction-based business model means that players can purchase cosmetic armor sets from the get-go if they're not feeling as rugged and awesome as they desire. The team is also working on a neat attachment system in which you can slap on cool accessories and armor modifications to further personalize your gear.

Twitter Dev Chat 10/28:

Question: Meaning of 1207-2011 on the TR gun
Higby: Maybe the artist was working on that on July 11th. It doesn't mean anything significant (no, it's not an ARG clue)
==
Question: How will TR strength in #s work? Will we need more people to do equal or less damage again?
Brewko: TR Vehicles do not require an extra man as they did in PS1.
==
Question: # Prowler seats?
kevmo0: 2
==
Question: Will the Prowler have a dedicated gunner for the main gun? Pretty please?
kevmo0: Driver Controls the Main gun and a Coaxial gun. Passenger controls a secondary gun.
==
Question: Will Heavy Assault weapons be limited to Rexo, or the PS2 equivalent heavier armor?
twothreesix: yes, limited to the PS2 equivalent
==
Question: Release date?
Brewko: 2012
==
Question: # ES Vehicles?
kevmo0: 2 per faction current plan
==
Question: How much longer is the mosquito?
Kevmo0: Mosquito is the longest, but not by much. I would say they are relatively similar.
==
Question: Mossie has 2 seat variant?
kevmo0: Nope. 1 seat. No 2 seat variant.
==
Question: On steam?
Higby: I hope, but I dunno.
==
Question: What choices for max modes (overdrive, lockdown) will TR max have?
twothreesix: charge, lockdown, and possibly 1 more
==
Question: TR specific implants?
Higby: not currently. Our new implant system is pretty slick. I think you guys will like it, but, it's nothing like ps1
==
Question: what kind of weapons can we expect as secondary guns on MBTs? Light weapons like in ps1 or something more substantial?
kevmo0: For the medium battle tanks, the secondary weapons are more substantial.
==
Question: Buggies?
kevmo0: We want to do ES buggies, but it will be after launch
==
Question: How long will vehicle scrap remain on the battlefield?
Higby: right now 30 seconds, but it's subject to change
==
Question: How much faster is the prowler than the other 2 ES tanks?
kevmo0: Still tuning, can't say for show, but noticeably faster. Slower than lightning.
==
Question: Can TR carry more ammo to offset their high ROF?
twothreesix: yes
==
Question: Tank mounted flamethrowers?
twothreesix: We'll see, but maxes will
==
Question: Will TR maxes have similar weapons to those in PS1?
Brewko: Better!
==
Question: Will lightning return?
kevmo0: yes. Different due to MBT gunner change.
==
Question: What weapons from PS1 will return?
TRay: trying to bring pretty much all of them in some form or fashion
==
Question: What weapons for Mosquito?
kevmo0: Classic rocket pods or Air 2 Air Missles. Don't worry, it won't be like the wasp.
==
Question: will the libbie be still a 3 man vehicle? Or will the pilot drop the bombs?
Brewko: The Liberator is a 3-Man Gunship, it's not a bomber like it was in in PS1.
==
Question: Sry to bother you during your free time: Is there more than 1 Heavy Assault weapon for each Empire (MCG and heavy cycler 4 TR)?
Higby: our heavy assault class has access to multiple different types of weapons, several of which are exclusive to HA.
==
Question: how many of those are HA ES? :>
Higby: Right now there are 3 empire specific HA weapons planned, with multiple variants of each. subject to change, ofc.
==
Question:wait. you mean 3 ES HA per empire, right?
Higby: Haha, three empire specific HA weapons per empire. Cool tidbit: HA class does both anti-infantry and anti-vehicle based on loadout
==
PCGamer Preview 3
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/planetside-2-preview-3/
SOE plans to include a subscription model for those who fancy access to what Matt calls ‘premium features’

Skill system -
Pick one of PlanetSide 2’s skills and it’ll be queued to learn. Log off, and you’ll continue studying how to attach longer range scopes to your Bolt-Driver sniper rifle, get better at hacking enemy vehicles, or another one of the game’s multitude of skills.

1/13/2012 Gameplay Footage

Last edited by Bags; 2012-01-26 at 09:43 PM.