PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Friday Night Ops Follow-Up March 8th
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-10, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Muldoon
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Associate Programmer

Re: Friday Night Ops Follow-Up March 8th

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
On the note of you guys using the metrics to deem when a sale is required. Have you guys ever thought about promoting specific sales to players with a specific playstyle. Like you mentioned putting rocket pods on sale, could you then make those sales more apparent to players who would be interested in that (new players with more time on ESFs or players who don't really use ESFs). Would that be possible?
The nudge system is in it's earliest stages. All we have is what I mentioned, which is double or half off station cash, and that's not even in yet. The things I said after are merely speculation of where it could go. The system can be set up for that, but currently isn't. Ideally, we will take it where it makes SOE money and caters to what players might want to buy.

Chinese anti-indulgence system. What is exactly is that and how does that play into your job, do you have to recode a lot of things?
In China, it is considered unhealthy to play games for hours at a time. In order for a game to launch in China, it must have an anti indulgence system to stop or discourage players from playing longer than the government set standards. We do things like stopping kill tracking and not awarding XP to meet these standards.

I did not program the system. Another more senior programmer did. I've just been supporting it. It interacts a lot with XP, so I've added some stuff here and there. Largely the CAIS just got attached to many other systems and datasources, as opposed to needing whole new files. The guy who wrote it would likely have a different answer to that. But I haven't needed to write a lot for it, I just needed to find the places to squeeze the CAIS numbers in, and make it do the right math when it's there.

Since you've added on the Forgelight tools to such a degree, are you going to help with EQ next given your experience with the engine?
I will be on the Planetside 2 team for the foreseeable future. The last time I worked on any tools was a couple months before launch. And I usually don't work directly with the engine, I work at a higher up level than that.

Still don't really get programming languages like c++ (I had no idea there were so many until I looked it up). Glad I'm just a gamer:P
Check this out: http://www.codecademy.com/

Oh and one last question: Do you always look at it encoded?
I'm not sure what you mean by encoded, unless you're making a matrix joke. In which case all I see is a nudge here, an xp kill over there...