PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Idea Revised: Time Share Servers
View Single Post
Old 2002-10-16, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rayzer
Staff Sergeant

The original idea will never work, even though I fully understand what you are trying to do.

People live in different places they have different schedules. But the bottom line is, you cannot restrict them to certain servers/times simply because of this.

In DAOC our guild has a bunch of people who work third shift. I usually see them an hour before I log off, after having been on for 2 or 3 hours. Then they play for however long. But we still get to hang out.

What happen if my 3 hour gaming window happens between your sever switches? Basically you are forcing me to play 1 hour on this server, then I'm booted and wait for the next to come up.

It is a persistant world. Things like time are important. Yes, it sucks to be asleep when someone takes over your base. But that is all part of the online reality of the game. To try and take that away would defeat the point of having a persistant world. If you want a quick wam-bam just when you are on, play a normal FPS. The point of an on going, ever chaning world, is to be able to log on whenever you want and see what is going on in the world. Giving people a 5 hour window to play on a certain server would destroy any MMOG. People like to be by their friends, dispite different schedules.

I mean should they shut down the servers for Christmas just b/c some people might be a church? You turn them on, you let them run. Non-prime time raids will always happen, but they are part of the world, and yes, a valid tactic (although annoying to those that are asleep )