PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Life and Death of Planetside 2
View Single Post
Old 2015-02-19, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mietz
First Sergeant

Re: The Life and Death of Planetside 2

I really dont know why every 3-4 months i get into this masochistic streak to get into PS2 again and end up on this forum repeating the same things expecting a different result.

Must be because im insane.

Anyways as i mentioned like 2 years ago, and this applies today as it did back then, is that PS2's problem is that its incentive to fight is all wrong. The problem is that the fight is about certs and XP and not territory (fun, engagement, etc).

Think about why slow, boring and tedious sandbox games like EVE Online are still around and successful (less now than before but still). Its because theres a reason for the players to interact besides getting the next lvl up. Certainly there is grind, in case of EVE its for credits, but thats not the incentive. The incentive isnt to get more money to buy your next ship. (joining a corp will get you a ship from the first minute if you do it right) Its about contributing towards a goal that you either set yourself, or that was set by someone else and that you agreed with (corps).

PS2 lacks the basic functionality of a MMOG that could illicit cooperation. Outfits arent enough because being in an outfit does jack shit for your goals or experience. Fuck, even STO has a better system than this game with its pretend-starbases and forced PVP "events".

What is lacking is a permanence or record of ones and by extension, other peoples, actions in the game world. Yes in EVE the borders constantly change, theres a back and forth, etc. But people somehow remember what is theirs and there is conflict, drama and tension because of it.

PS2 lacks the global mechanics to incentivize people to fight for something else than XP or some other BS number in their HUD (be it directives or w/e).

I actually miss the times where the TR decided that The Crown was theirs and they arent going to leave it, the continent be damned.
People just fighting for the fun of it: