PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Fixing Spawn Camping & Sundy Wipes
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-23, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Fixing Spawn Camping & Sundy Wipes

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
here i go again.... PS1 spawn rooms are the solution to the current crappy spawn rooms.
I think the part of the design of the facility layouts in Planetside that helped with spawn camping was the fact that it was harder to camp the bottom exit (via the kitchen) than the upper two exits (which led to the same corridor and from there typically to the main throughway, the stairs). A force that's camping the top exits couldn't quickly react to a breakout in the basement.
This is akin to how those spawn camping at an Amp Station in PS2 can't quickly react to a breakout via the shield tunnels with the notable exception that once a defender pops up via the tunnels, they're fully committed to the assault. There's no going back down the tunnel. Plus when a defender jumps out of the tunnel, they're doing it either completely blind or with the minimal support of ping darts (which in turn can spoil any surprise assault because the enemy can see the dart's effect on their minimap).

Oh, and if you blew the gen? Say goodbye to a good chunk of your BEP/CEP. Want to blow the tubes? Better go get them (and hope the spawnroom painfield isn't superboosted).

All in all I think that spawn camping, while still prevalent and important to controlling the fight, wasn't as bad (in Planetside) is the fact that a total spawn camp usually only happened (in what I can remember of my experiences) later in the cap.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast