PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Needs Prone
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-10, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #823
Retaliation
Private

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by Khrusky View Post
Oh. Is it a reference I'm not getting?

Are you arguing that prone isn't useful? It seems counter-intuitive but it's what your argument seems to suggest. I will respond as if it is.
Prone is just another trade-off, like they've been going on about on the cert topic. Less mobility for more accuracy and smaller front hit box. Prone can be used very effectively to ensure that they can't be killed too easily while sniping by the people they're trying to snipe. That's just one example. It has simple counters though, so it it just a trade-off rather than a straight advantage. Prone isn't - and shouldn't be considered - useful indoors.

Again, what I said before: if the guy wasn't going to move before, how does the game become staler because instead of standing still he's sitting?
Na I was just trying to come up with a simpler way of saying prone favoring posters without it being condescending.

Ironically saying prone wouldn't be useful in the type of gameplay planetside embodies is close to what I'm trying to get at. Movement is king, and the moment you stop you're going to get bullets lodged in your skull. For prone to be useful you would have to provide more than usual benefits to it. I -and probably many others- am not comfortable with trying out prone when it doesn't seem compatible with the way I hope the game is going to be played (moderate arcade).

There is also a really subtle and quite easy to miss point about prone promoting standing still when they're going to stand still anyway. If made to be useful, prone just gives them advantages they shouldn't have in a game of movement. It's essentially unintentional exploiting of a mechanic that is otherwise pretty solid. RTS players hate base turtles for the same reason because you're either going to break them hard after a disproportionate time investment, or they'll win despite being completely passive until their push at the end. It's not so much the fact that they're defending that makes people angry, but that they're obstructive/winning despite putting forth far less effort. In the case of RTS it's because base defenses can't move so they're given high returns on investment compared to normal units. Unless you can prevent people from delaying the inevitable (or actually winning) despite not knowing what they're doing, it's just going to cause more problems than it solves.

P.S. nonsense like dolphin diving is exactly the kind of thing that would allow prone to be a viable move yet remain fairly weak.
P.P.S. I have no idea how much this will make sense to others.