PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #125
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
To all those people who claim it gives an advantage, I presume you also now want to get rid of a variable field of view as well, and kill support for 3 monitor setups? Because those give an advantage as well.
Those are pretty bad comparisons. With FOV changes, what you gain with a wider FOV you lose in magnification. So you will see more from side-to-side but everything will look farther away. So you sacrificae longe-range vision for the wider FOV. However, toggling the cockpit off gives you no disadvatnage whatsoever. There's no tradeoff. Here's a good example of different FOV's in BF3

Hmm now that I think of it perhaps a FOV adjustment could be added as a balance measure for turning off the cockpit. So you could turn it off, but you're FOV automatically gets smaller as a result. Thus the cockpit view will always give you greater side-to-side visibility...

As for 3 monitor setups, removing that option for players goes down the path of attempting to purposefully handicap those with beefier computer hardware. I can't imagine any game developer would purposefully shoot themselves in the foot like that unless its inclusion required huge amounts of development time to implement and/or caused other game issues that were difficult to overcome (like graphics glitches, game crashes, etc).

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't such a crappy cockpit. No offense to whoever made it, but that framework is ridiculously thick, and any decent engineering job would have just made that a bubble canopy. That cockpit is the obvious result of someone designing something with absolutely zero thought given to its function. And let me guess.. The VS fighter is going to have those prongs out front that serve no purpose other than blocking vision be visible too, right?

Ugh.. This has been a bad couple weeks for me. I'm a vehicle whore from PS1, and between badly designed cockpits being mandatory, and no 3rd person for ground vehicles.. yeah. My enthusiasm just took a huge hit.

Now all we need is some ridiculous shader for tanks cockpit view that makes it look like you are watching a tv from the 50s...
This is still Alpha. Like we've seen with almost everything else I'm sure the cockpits will go through a number of different design changes, hopefully in the direction of being less intrusive/FOV-blocking.

And I'm hoping the Higby realizes how bad of an idea it is to remove 3rdPV from ground vehicles. The Magrider alone is reason enough to include 3rdPV since the driver can't see behind him or to either side and it behaves exactly like an aircraft that can't leave the ground and so can't simply fly over obstacles in its path.