PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Crafting? No. No crafting" - TRay
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

"Crafting? No. No crafting" - TRay

Strickly speaking, that may be the case, but I wouldn't sell Planetside 2 short on the crafting aspect to outright say that it doesn't have any at all.

The fundamentals of "crafting" break down the following:

1. Collect stuff to make something with.
2. Use stuff to make something.

Depending on the game, variations of quality may or may not be available during the crafting process or throughout the level ranges. But at the end of the day, every system boils down to the above two things.

Take a look at what Planetside 2 offers, we have resources and a boat load of customizations to purchase with those resources. So in terms of the fundamental level of crafting, Planetside 2 has,

1. Collect the correct resources.
2. Use the resources (or Station Cash) to purchase customizations in the shop.

All you really have to do to give Planetside 2 a "crafting system" that isn't much different than the simplistic ones in Everquest and World of Warcraft is to replace the word "purchase" with the word "craft".

Now if you wanted make it an actually interesting "crafting system", you could go a step further and give players the ability to,

1. Collect the correct resources.
2. Use the resources to purchase ("craft") rare customizations that wear out over time.
3. Trade these items with other players for resources.

Honestly, I don't see how this is any different than any other "crafting system" on a fundamental level. It's only different in that everyone has access to the customization shop and the ability to collect the resources, without having to grind a "profession" or pick a "crafting class".

Yes, this is a very simplistic crafting system, but I think it still qualifies as a crafting system.

Edit: As an after thought, Engineers "craft" things like turrets and anyone can "craft" custom vehicles and MAX suits at bases.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-06-17 at 03:47 PM.