PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Central Command Centers
Thread: Gameplay: Central Command Centers
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-16, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Maelios
Private

Re: Central Command Centers

Originally Posted by Ohaunlaim View Post
Yea, I wasnt really considering their cool down times and resource costs when brain storming there.

That being said, I would rather they be weaker and uncommon than over powered and rare. Again it comes down to giving the players a chance to react to, avoid, or flee the OS.

Making something too rare (by whatever method) causes the people that use it to demand it be worth the cost, so it tends to become over powered when compared to other things in the game (but, perhaps, not compared to resource costs.) Then, when it becomes known that it has such power, everyone will want to use it. Eventually a majority becomes able to use it and that 'rare' thing isn't so rare anymore, but still over powered.

As I see it, for balance's sake, an OS should cost the equivalent amount of resources as two liberators, dish out the average damage two of them do in their average life-times (distributed in a wide area for a set time), have four to six times the cool down at least (cause a liberator needs crew while an OS doesn't), etc.

I would rather have it use current resources too, all of them. That way somebody could either use their OS or pull a liberator/ESTank/multiple MAX units. And if they were running low on any one resource due to vehicle/equipment purchases then no OS for them.

What do you think about mixing in a way to prevent an OS from going off or from being used once 'purchased'? Would that help make the things more acceptable? Something like a deploy-able field command console that would need to be set up and manned until the OS goes off?
Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post
Personally I think the orbital strikes should take on the form of a prolonged EMP effect for all 3 factions. Why?
  • There's a chance to fairly counter it in that you aren't just "dead".
  • Relies on tactical usage not just "grid x looks likely target - just carpet bomb it even though theres no friendlies there to make use of it" in order to get the damage payout from it you've got to have troops on the ground to dish that side out.
  • Still can be used as a siege breaker for prepping a force to be hit hard.
  • EMP drops the shields among other effects for any side caught in it so you've got to make sure you're placing it correctly theres that "punishment" if you get it wrong.
  • EMP could be used to affect gate shields/electronics etc of any base defense which gives it more versatility.
  • Probably look graphically more exciting than just explosions everywhere.

Most mentioned already but I don't think the OS mechanic has to be strictly damage front orientated for them to be fair, useful and deadly.

The carpet bomb effect could be co-ordinated through a galaxy/liberator cluster bomb drop or something that relies on more co-ordinated use than a fire and forget.

Getting hammered by a bomb OS then hammered again by A2G, then swept up by a tank and infantry push would be demoralisingly repetitive I think and not invoke as good team work. Yes there will be those that might argue this is how it "works in the real world" but isn't necessarily a good game mechanic.
I think that the both of you misunderstood my OP.

The OS idea functions within the CCC, and must go through a vote before it is used. Orbital strikes are not the only ability within the CCC and are not used on an individual basis. The purpose of orbital strikes is to provide an alternate option to several different difficult situations that will provide a solution if platoon leaders are organizing and communicating with the commanders.

To answer Ohaunlain's concern it's not a surprise insta-gib that kills everyone without warning. There would be a thirty second warning where alarms within buildings would flash and make noise and the player's HUD would turn red and a message would flash once across the screen saying something like "Orbital Strike Incoming, find cover or flee the area." The resources used are specific to the commanders and cannot be used by others. This ensures that all abilities are under the control of the current commanders. All the orbital strikes would be rare because it's a faction based cooldown. So if commander A uses an OS then when Commander B comes in and there is 11225 Auraxium he still can't use the OS. On top of that all OS's go to a majority vote where the Force Commander's vote counts three times. So the average Joe can't get orbital strikes and platoon leads can't have their guys pull 48 orbital strikes because they have the cert.

To answer to Carbon Copied's Concern giving eveyone the same OS takes away from point A: Unique. They need to have a sense of individuality to add to the faction pride and create strategies base on what your enemy can and can't do with their weapons, vehicles and abilities. Once again it's hardly a kill everything, point, click, win button. The general strategic intention of an OS is to stop an zerg in it's tracks. Here are some examples of ways to use each factions unique OS's in unique ways to turn the tide of battle and avert zergs to other areas:

A. The Vanu are struggling in their assault against the TR at the Bastion in Amerish. They have two platoons at the Bastion against the TR's 3. They want to pull their platoon from Mekala Tech but the NC are pushing hard from the south. The NC arsenal flips to Vanu Control giving them enough resources to use an orbital. The FC calls for permission to use an orbital strike and is approved. He uses it right in front of the NC advance at Mekala, preventing them from attacking right away. This gives the platoon at Mekala enough time to pull galaxies from the Tech plant and flank the TR at the Bastion before heading back, winning them the battle while being able to defend Mekala.

B. The TR were just pushed out of the Bastion by the VS. (Some Gal-drop or something ) They have decided to push the NC at Wokuk but run into heavy resistance at West Pass Watch-Tower. The FC calls for an OS and is approved. He uses it on top of the tower itself forcing all the NC to find cover. During the 30 seconds of bullet rain (much worse than acid rain) the prowlers get enough time to position themselves to barrage the tower and surrounding buildings. After the OS concludes the barrage commences, forcing the NC to fall back to Wokuk Amp Station.

C. The NC have been pushed to Wokuk Amp Station and the TR's armor column is on the way. The FC thinks it's the perfect time for an EMP and so do the rest of the commanders. The NC pulls air from Wokuk and watch the TR try to find an escape route but the terrain is too rough. The EMP lands and the libs and reavers pick off sundies and skyguards first then move to the prowlers. This forces the TR to fall back to West Pass, allowing the NC to focus on more of an offensive.

The graphical design can be cool too, especially with OS's this unique. The possibilities are endless. Before you let your fear of OS's being overpowered get the best of you try to think of ways that can avoid that problem and still keep with the current theme.

Thanks for the input guys, you are really helping me think all this through, even though what I thought of in the initial four hours of my own brainstorming was mostly covered.