PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
It's not that infantry need AA weapons. Frankly, BF3 has become annoying with a stinger under every rock, even if they can't kill you because they are too weak. Aircraft instead should be prevented from farming infantry in other ways.
imo, the biggest motivator to limiting aircav hover farms is the risk of getting dropped so hard by AA you would still wonder what happened. It's also partly why lock-on AA was not as great as Flak in PS1. I think aircav should be able to farm if no one brought his own aircav or AA.

The problem with PS Aircav was partly the inadequacy of AA. Without tech benefits, things were terribly painful.

While thinking about BF3 mechanics to evaluate AA mechanics is a good idea, in Planetsided, the number of available air vehicles is as unlimited as available AA guns. I have no idea what the exact end result will be but I can only say that between BF3 and PS, scale changes the dynamics completely.

(Of course, it's not exactly true either because tech benefits or resources are restrictions; on the other hand, those restrictions allow empire strategy comes into play.)

FYI, I am not an aircav guy but I was doing a lot of dedicated hunting with skyguards in PS. Their playstyle needs to be fun as much as our favorite playstyle needs to be. Diversity and viability of playstyles is key for a game like PS (i.e. not infantry centered 100%).

And just to add a comment about Malorn's interventions, I think he makes a great point when he says cockpits are more about game rules than anything else.