News: New Blog via Smed talks ESports, Outfit Bases and More. (Overall Discussion) - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cause that Riverdance is scary
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-15, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
wormywyrm
Private

Re: New Blog via Smed talks ESports, Outfit Bases and More. (Overall Discussion)

None of his post-launch plans will hurt the game to me but some of them won't benefit it much.

Why oh why no capital/air-base ships??? It could be awesome. It could add great gameplay, great ways to mix things up, and great meta game strategy. Smed do you want to take some pages from EVE and battlefield? Give us some badass capital ship/BF2014 titans to wage war between. That is what I wanted to see in his list but instead we saw this:

Water between continents sounds good at face value but is it worth it?? What exactly would it be accomplishing? If they add water vehicles to the game I hope that they are hybrid vehicles that are for both land/water.

NPC enemies/mercenaries might be slightly amusing and could fill the gaps we saw in base capture that PS1 had (lack of defenders, especially late at night). Worth it to code in NPCs? No not to me. There's better ways to spend the time IMO.

Esports goes against what Smed is trying to push here when he talks about there not being 'multiple game modes'. Esports would require multiple game modes: end of story. I just don't see it happening for PS2. I know Smed sees other games getting into esports and there is $$ there and free marketing but he is wrong to think PS2 can be that sort of game and I hope they don't pour money into it. Which reminds me, comparing the differences between the 3 factions in PS2 to differences in SC2 races is way out of line because it implies that the different weapons and vehicles will lead the different factions leadership into making decisions in different ways. The meta strategy is amazingly different in SC2 according to race... PS2 has the unit/weapon diversity SC2 has but the meta strategy is not that different.

Weather is ok I just hope they don't hang their hat on it because I think more variables the players can control would be more interesting after the games been out a few months.

His idea that I am most excited about? Player owned bases. But it may be the most technically difficult thing to do as well and easy to mess up. I won't hold my breath. After SWG, I know SOE has the capacity to do it, but will they put down the resources for PS2? I am only looking forward to 2 games right now... PS2 and Archage. The latter because of the city building.

Originally Posted by MrMorton View Post
You could do really awesome things with player owned continents and Esports style competitions.

Because all the infer-structure to be able to compete in the big upcoming battle would require time to prepare, you could do something as simple as saying. On day X two weeks from now, control point Y has a cash reward of Z dollars. Whoever controls it at the end of day X gets the prize, until day X this control point will be blocked from capture. ready set GO.

then you would have a two week long rush from all the outfits to build up to get the upper hand in that one day huge battle.

Do you save up your resources to have a huge teched up army on the day of the fight? or do you spend resources early to gain control of surrounding areas to have a better starting point? Which outfit can have the most efficient trades over the other outfits to gain an edge?

Do you use cheap units only to get the best trades? or is using deadlier, higher cost units better?

before the fight, is it better to backhack your opponents bases in order to reduce the resources they can bring to the battle? but who do you backhack? who do you perceive as the greatest threat? can that perception be manipulated by all the teams?

that's an awesome start to a thriving competitive meta game.
Interesting... Def a different take than what I was thinking.

Esports with hundreds of players on each team? I was imagining SC2 matches where the same 30 asian guys duke it out for the big bucks and earn their living off of the game.

Def a risk and an unknown but hey it could get a lot of good press too. I would love if they recorded some of these 'esport' battles and did commentaries etc to post online. It would be like the news feeds we see about EVE politics except way more action-oriented.

Last edited by wormywyrm; 2012-08-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 2012-08-15, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
medward
Private

Re: New Blog via Smed talks ESports, Outfit Bases and More. (Overall Discussion)

The NPC thing sounds kind of cool, but only if it's a periodic event type thing. I wouldn't want to log in everyday and half to deal with that. If it was a live event type thing where for a couple days or a week Auraxis is invaded, that would be cool.
Old 2012-08-15, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
sgtbjack
Corporal

1) Player Owned bases - we plan on releasing continents that are empty or partially empty where players can build their own bases. These are open world bases so others will be able to attack them. We're also planning on having these continents heavily resource based with new resource types that will be very rare..and lots of cool new stuff that can be built out of these new resources.

Sounds good to me, lots of challenges to that though

2) Harvestable resources - imagine SC II style resource harvesting with physical vehicles doing the mining or the harvesting.

Cool

3) Water between continents - seamlessly - this is really hard tech, but our goal is to make the whole planet seamless and allow water based vehicles.

Very cool

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - just what it sounds like. Many of these will take very rare resources to make.

Very very cool

5) NPC enemies - I don't want to call this PVE. That's not exactly what we have in mind. More like a global invasion that goes after everybody. This isn't a bunch of quest givers saying "go kill 10 rats" - this is bad ass aliens that want to gut you.

Sure, if its completely random and not every day/week

6) NPC armies - imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it's in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn't another game mode. It's all part of the same game.

I personally hate this idea, just means npcs clogging up the arteries

7) Esports support - we plan on doing this pretty soon after launch. We plan on making this a big big thing and putting a lot of our resources behind it.

Don't care if its rewards only titles and resources, hate it if people get leadership ranked up playing small group warzone/battleground/arena gameplay, these forms of gameplay create garbage leaders. I just want the leaders who advance(and effect your entire faction on that server) to have proved it by leading wars on the continents. If the arena's(or whatever) are hundreds vs hundreds than I rescind my negativity and I'm cool with it.

8) Weather

I want this very, very bad. I want it to effect how you fight and your strategies, forcing commanders to have tactical depth and adaptability

Last edited by sgtbjack; 2012-08-15 at 04:18 PM.
Old 2012-08-15, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Re: So yep. Esports official. SOE's putting big money into it.

Originally Posted by Boone View Post
RTS elements in my opinion would be amazing.
No, no it most certainly would NOT.

End of Nations is a MMORTS
Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS

The entire draw of PS2 is that all the active combat units, all THOUSANDS of them, are all PLAYERS.

Some outfit base building, and some worker type AI's to perform menial tasks that players wouldn't be particularly interested in performing (structure building, mining, supply convoys delivering materials/resources) are all potential "RTS" elements that could fit into the Planetside formula, while not taking away the single biggest aspect of Planetside (all player battles)

These NPC worker units would even be vulnerable to enemy attacks giving players more to fight over for smaller scale skirmishes than base assaults.

And yes, I know these are just ideas and not definitive plans... ^THESE are my ideas on how to work with the ideas provided.

Oh, and for whoever asked... Planetside WILL have some streaming & spectator functions built into the system. I hope they don't go crazy with instanced outfit battles as again, 1 of the primary features of Planetside is also it's PERSISTENCE which these instanced fights would have nothing to do with.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion