Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Friends don't let friends be NC
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-16, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
klu
Corporal

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

they could simply make a gunner cert tree for any vehicle. the driver spends xp on the power or armor of the vehicle and the gunner spends xp on the power or versatility of the turret. share the xp spent and keep the teamwork element.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
CutterJohn
Colonel

If they do stick with the concept of the driver being the primary gunner and the gunner controlling the secondary turret, I for one hope they allow an option to swap control of the turrets, so you can give control of the primary turret to the gunner, and the driver takes control of the secondary.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-16, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Secondary weapons on tanks are no joke.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by klu View Post
they could simply make a gunner cert tree for any vehicle. the driver spends xp on the power or armor of the vehicle and the gunner spends xp on the power or versatility of the turret. share the xp spent and keep the teamwork element.
Sounds good, but fails in practice.

Remember that?
Raid Group LF ***** - Level 9999, Epic Set of "Armor of Awesomeness" and "Sword of Death" REQ. /w Guywithnolife

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-09-16 at 11:13 AM.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
It is srsbzns
Old 2011-09-16, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Can you elaborate anymore then this?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-16, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Can you elaborate anymore then this?
One of the biggest unlock lines for mbt's are secondary weapon unlocks. You'll be able to switch out a variety of weapons up there that add a ton to your tank's situational viability. These will rival the power of the main guns depending on the vehicle and situation and will be a lot of fun to use. Imagine putting a mortar cannon on top of your vanguard, now you can sit behind cover and shell an area; or, add an AA Flak cannon for defending against reavers. There will be a lot of variation here and having a good secondary gunner will always be a major benefit.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Any plans on making an option to allow the secondary gunner to control the main turret if the driver so chooses? I can see times where maybe you're running around with a good friend in a hectic battle and would find it more effective if you (the driver) could focus solely on driving and avoiding enemies/terrain obstacles, while letting your friend take over the primary gun.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Logit
Second Lieutenant

One of the biggest unlock lines for mbt's are secondary weapon unlocks. You'll be able to switch out a variety of weapons up there that add a ton to your tank's situational viability. These will rival the power of the main guns depending on the vehicle and situation and will be a lot of fun to use. Imagine putting a mortar cannon on top of your vanguard, now you can sit behind cover and shell an area; or, add an AA Flak cannon for defending against reavers. There will be a lot of variation here and having a good secondary gunner will always be a major benefit.
Do you remember BFR's? Weren't they the death of the first game we all loved so much?

I'm all for change but with the scale of the game it would make sense that tanks require more people, rather than giving less people more power.

BFR's "benefitted" from a second gunner, but it wasn't entirely necessary.

Last edited by Logit; 2011-09-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

I thought the biggest problem with release BFRs is it took multiple BFRs to kill one BFR?
Old 2011-09-16, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I see what you are getting at, but I still prefer what the current system is like. Easily the most fun moments I remember from playing PS is driving with a good gunner. Sounds like this is doable with what your team wants to do with PS2, but I still see the the gunners role being to diminished even if there is a good secondary gun. The driver is has the strongest one correct?

Hearing this news I know not bother with tanks now and I preferred the team aspect more, not just having a complementary gunner. If I wanted to solo I would of learned how to use a reaver in PS. At least I will be focusing more on more infantry based ops now. The best part of PS was the huge vehicle fights. I really hope you are not making it like battlefield with how the tanks are and just getting blown up with 2 well placed AV rockets. That will ruin it imo. I am just to stuck on the current driver/gunner system in PS. I just found it balanced out good.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-09-16 at 11:33 AM.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Do you remember BFR's? Weren't they the death of the first game we all loved so much?

I'm all for change but with the scale of the game it would make sense that tanks require more people, rather than giving less people more power.

BFR's "benefitted" from a second gunner, but it wasn't entirely necessary.
But it was made not neccisary because of the one man BFR. The 2 man ones were much more powerful with 2 people.

Another thing is the driver's guns on a BFR could be switched, here not so much from the sound of it. The driver of the tank has access to a single weapon.

So now a 1 man tank is decent enough for head to head ground conflict against vehicles or infantry in the open; but much MUCH weaker against aircraft and infantry with any kind of cover. That is a fairly big tradeoff if you ask me, forcing yourself into a very singular role just because you were too lazy to find a gunner is a good incentive for teamwork.

I am not too worried about it to be honest, but I want to see how it pans out in beta.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I thought the biggest problem with release BFRs is it took multiple BFRs to kill one BFR?
I think the biggest problem with BFR's is that the idea ever popped into someone's head.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Traak
Colonel

HEY! I HAVE AN IDEA!

If you cert the heavy tank, you can be the commander and gunner, which allows some uncerted person to be the driver.

How's THAT for making tank certs more attractive, instead of the guy who bothers to get the certs being hosed while some n00b gets to do (and often suck at) the gunning???

That way, EVERY tank has either a tank commander driving and no one gunning, or a tank commander gunning and someone else driving, but no tank will EVER have an uncerted n00b gunning, period, while the guy who went through the slog to get the tank cert turns into a glorified Cadbury the butler/chaffeur while the passenger gets to go all Duke Nukem and have all the gunning fun.

Want to gun a tank? GREAT! Go get your OWN certs.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-09-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
HEY! I HAVE AN IDEA!

If you cert the heavy tank, you can be the commander and gunner, which allows some uncerted person to be the driver.

How's THAT for making tank certs more attractive, instead of the guy who bothers to get the certs being hosed while some n00b gets to do (and often suck at) the gunning???

That way, EVERY tank has either a tank commander driving and no one gunning, or a tank commander gunning and someone else driving, but no tank will EVER have an uncerted n00b gunning, period, while the guy who went through the slog to get the tank cert turns into a glorified Cadbury the butler/chaffeur while the passenger gets to go all Duke Nukem and have all the gunning fun.

Want to gun a tank? GREAT! Go get your OWN certs.
No

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Or 5 Fully manned Raiders.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion