Will vehicles only have a first person view? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: took my lunch money
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-19, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jownzorz
Corporal

Will vehicles only have a first person view?

Would definitely make for some interesting battles.
Old 2011-09-19, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

Re: Will vehicles only have a first person view?

Im p sure they said vehicles would be the only things that will have 3rd person, infantry will not
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-19, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

They said vehicles *might* have third person.

If they're putting guns for drivers on most vehicles then 3rd person doesn't have much value since you can't aim the gun in that mode. (well they could add a reticule for it...)

Seems to me the only vehicles with 3rd person optional driving would be ones that don't have driver guns or have varients without driver guns. One example might be ATVs, AMS, Galaxies (to make landing that pig easier).

That said the BF games don't have 3rd person and I don't really miss it. But my tank also rarely gets stuck on a rock, nor do I have to worry about running over friendlies.

Avoiding little things that stop your vehicle or avoiding friendlies (particularly those behind you) are reasons for 3rd person.

The avoiding friendlies bit could be handled a different way - assume that Planetside has some of the same features that at least exist in modern automobiles, namely parking cameras. Some BMW's even have a "top down" view of the car and you can see exactly how you are positioned for parking. Many cars have parking sensors telling you that something is behind you.

Its not too far of a stretch to have proximity sensors specifically for friendlies as an alternate radar view of a tank or other vehicle.

That's really all you're after in third person- seeing your immediate vicinity. If you have that with a radar or proximity view then you don't need third person. If modern cars can do it I think its OK for Planetside vehicles to have such a feature.

(Yes, I'm calling for a "parking view" on tanks.)
Old 2011-09-19, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Traak
Colonel

Third person for vehicles will be needed, I agree. You have to know why you are high-centered in a tuft of grass or a pebble, after all.
Old 2011-09-19, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MooK
Staff Sergeant

I prefer in-seat first-person. I understand it would require more time to create and implement the graphics, but it would really add to the depth.
Old 2011-09-19, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raymac
Brigadier General

You know, of all the questions that they've answered recently between Napalms thai food interview and the twitter Q&A, I'm actually surprised this question didn't get asked. This is a fail on us.

Old 2011-09-19, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
You know, of all the questions that they've answered recently between Napalms thai food interview and the twitter Q&A, I'm actually surprised this question didn't get asked. This is a fail on us.
INDIAN food. I had saag paneer with nan, and some tandoori chicken.

And yeah, there are several things I would have liked to have answered if I could go back and do it again.
Old 2011-09-19, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
I had saag paneer with nan, and some tandoori chicken.
Dude, I think either your keyboard is broken, or you are having a stroke. That jibberish doesn't make any sense. Might want to call 9-1-1 if you are losing feeling in your arm.

Old 2011-09-19, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Dude, I think either your keyboard is broken, or you are having a stroke. That jibberish doesn't make any sense. Might want to call 9-1-1 if you are losing feeling in your arm.

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2011-09-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 2011-09-19, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
FIREk
Captain

Good ol' basmati rice > nan. :P

That being said, vehicles will likely have 3rd person view, but with no aiming capabilities. I believe it was made very clear during one of the first interviews that 3rd person in vehicles, if implemented, will be useless for combat.

Don't vehicles have 3rd person in BFBC2, though? You 100% sure? I haven't played the game in months, so I don't remember this bit... I think there was a stationary 3rd person camera available, like in the previous Battlefield games.
Old 2011-09-19, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Don't vehicles have 3rd person in BFBC2, though? You 100% sure? I haven't played the game in months, so I don't remember this bit... I think there was a stationary 3rd person camera available, like in the previous Battlefield games.
There is indeed. And it's very useful to keep from being C4'd. It's pretty useful, so I'd expect it to be in PS2.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-19, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Like the parking camera concept.

Just give us a top-down, immediate-vicinity camera like a parking camera in some part of the vehicle HUD. No need for 3rd person. We could use it to better avoid running over friendlies and better aim to hit hostiles.
Old 2011-09-21, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Like the parking camera concept.

Just give us a top-down, immediate-vicinity camera like a parking camera in some part of the vehicle HUD. No need for 3rd person. We could use it to better avoid running over friendlies and better aim to hit hostiles.
I'm having a hard time picturing how a "parking camera" would be different than 3rdPV. Can you elaborate a bit?

If it's what I think it is - namely a near-field, stationary, top-down view from directly above your vehicle - as a dedicated Lightning driver, I disagree that that is all that would be needed. In a Lightning, since your POV follows the direction your turret is pointing, that type of parking cam would be next to worthless since you can already turn 360-degrees to look all around you.

However, as a Lightning driver I find 3rdPV in PS1 to be invaluable and I use it as much as I do when in Rexo - that is to say, all the time. 3rdPV has saved my life many many times especially in uneven terrain since it allows me to keep track of any bigger, badder vehicles in my immediate vicinity by looking over/around hills and ridges without exposing myself direct view or fire. Having 3rdPV which follows my turret allows me to constantly watch a big vehicle or group of softies that is trying to hunt me down from one direction, whilst I move in another, all the time staying hidden from the enemy's view should terrain allow it.

And, since it seems that all vehicle drivers in PS2 will be gunners as well (which btw is a terrible idea IMO and I hope they reconsider doing it), I think 3rdPV would become invaluable to most people once they figure out how to use it effectively.

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-09-21 at 12:17 AM.
Old 2011-12-12, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Traak
Colonel

I agree that having no third-person view except top-down immediate-vicinity view is a good idea.

How about cameras that have a couple screens to your sides on the lower parts of your HUD that show views around your vehicle? FROM your vehicle, not the floaty miracle-technology-cam views?

If you want to know if there are enemy vehicles around, get out and look or listen. You're in a vehicle, you can't have ALL the advantages and none of the disadvantages.
Old 2011-12-12, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Not having third person is stupid and pointless, its bad enough the driver=gunner. Just dont have a reticule in 3rd person, let it be there for driving around or maneuvering. No reason to not have it.

And lets not compare this to bf3, we have enough things ruined from them copying that game. I dont personally like the game and its mechanics dont, and would not, work in a PS world anyway, so no point in comparing or tryin to be like that game with its very very limited scope.

And definately dont give the immersion excuse, we already magically get in and out of vehicles among other things, first person immersion factor doesnt even remotely outweigh what you give up. Driving in first person over rough terrain thru trees etc blows monkey nuts, esp if you are driving somethin where you are purely the driver. Its enough to make me not drive those either. And when in a gunner slot in the awful driver=gunner tanks, its bad enough my driver will suck because he's tryin to gun too, lets not limit his view massively and make him suck when he's tryin to drive while not shooting as well.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion